Direct Boxes

all your bass stuff sounds the same ? thats not right. Speaking in the box or live rig mic'd?

In the box the stuff is excellent. A line6 bass or whatever modeler will go a long way. Just keep playing with it till you find sounds you like. Its all in there. make big waves on the O scope. Watch the levels on the meters.

Or you mean, a live rig? How is your bass stuff set up?

Last edited:
sounds decent.
so whats the chain on that so far? Bass to your Line6 Bass Pro then the RNC in the loop?

I kind of liked the basshugecut with violin picture- better though, that bass sounded clean and bit more detailed....just one opinion!

Itd be better to hear a few identical takes of the same track with different "paths". But its all subjective what people like in tones, crazy really...

so whats the chain on that so far? Bass to your Line6 Bass Pro then the RNC in the loop?

Bass chain is... Jazzbass- Line 6 toneport UX2-silverface preset(mod fx off)- then LOOK TO POST #28 FOR EXACT SETTINGS(it might look silly but..)

Exercise is raw instruments, used in a mix...To make the bass track mix with the others it needed an LPF / HPF set. It sounds weird, when isolated, but with others it sounds fine. I checked on my home stereo, headphones, and car..it sounds even on the devices.

The tracks need to be limited before mixing them(not for a midi vst keys track of course). Limiting seems necessary to get the track to sound even on all devices.

The EZdrums are drag n drop with the measure straight in. Then a VST comp on a drum preset right after the EZdrums.

My 2 bass guitars are both Jazz Basses..so I cannot test if they all sound the same..mine are the same..

No RNC was used. All in the box. Even the DI. The SC picture is my guitar rig, showing the RNLA in use to Spantini. Didn't mean to confuse. Unrelated.

Last edited:
yeah, #28... so shows the plugs at work in the track. wow thats a lot of stuff.
Bass to Inst IN to Silverface Sim....to plug/sims in DAW.
UX2 and UX8 really well done pieces with all that included software and price.

Jazz Bass to DI to DAW track often works for me. But in the mix track can be tweaked and colored and smashed and distorted etc with plugs.

noticeable change in the sharkfins!

I'd be interested in hearing several "before and after" maybe just the sansamp or vs outboard vs plugins....I like that stuff.

interesting thread!

With my rig (bass to DAW sims), it's the TSE Audio BOD (SansAmp copy) which demonstrates the largest noticeable change in bass lows and overall volume. After that, it's the GK amps in AmpliTube. The combo can be overwhelming at times.

bod.jpg

Last edited:
just keep the bass from blurring out the drums and everything else is good goal.

I never had a need for a bunch of things on bass? I thought the Bass track sounds fine with minimal work, in comparison to guitars and especially dist guitars, and vocals.
Bass was more enjoyable, just plug in the Jazz or Pbass and track....and from comparing 5 to 10 basses, my Squier 35yr old Jazz still held up against all of them. Pbass...I had a couple US and some others that floated through and a beautiful thing but due to not playing much , money reasons too, I sold the US Pbass.

You got me wanting to record some bass again, thanks!

Ive been wanting to compare my new interface DI/inst .
Versus to my Outboard$$DI. I already know the various outboard DI didnt seem to make a big difference but I wasnt using the $10 ones, all of my units were probably mid-price range but Radial and several preamp/inst in types sounded great.

Here a one minute mp3 of 3qty DI Bass tracks...PBAss> Interface DI, PBass into ISA430, Pbass into Aphex207.....no fx, no eq no comp.
I dont hear much of a difference.

Attachments

• 2022 Bass Zengo ISA 207 SqPbas.mp3
    3.4 MB
Last edited:
Suspicious as in Marketing hype you mena? maybe yes..lol

I admit I accidentally plugged in the bass but had it set to LINE at first in the interface and it was really darker and boomy, but setting the interface to HiZ ...then it sounds like the outboards. One out board is high end, the other is mid level....I thought all three were fine. Almost equal.

The SansAmp and stuff can offer dist and eqs which is cool....the Amp sims can definitely tone shape too. Im too lazy maybe? I like plug in DI and go...add compr and stuff later.

something really strange when playing your tracks through my chromebook speaker this morning. the end which has only bass and drums , only puts drums to my speakers, I cant hear any bass? Im assuming its the horrific crappy tiny speaker in this laptop effect....obviously because when listening with good monitors or headphones the bass and drums end the clip. Just a bizarre note. I could hear the bass on the full track in the beginning, but not much.
the strange world of mixing, ears, freqs and gear.....
playing mixes through various playback units comes to mind. not to get off topic of this bass DI thread.

I often reference the album Led Zep II. On my laptop it sounds pretty much as I remember the single AM radio speakers did in my old cars, except maybe the bass is a little weaker on my laptop - sounds like JP is playing a Höfner 500/1. This LP sounds much fuller in my headphones, of course.

I actually plug into a Fractal Audio FM3 (for cab sims, effects, etc.), and that plugs into an interface (to my computer). I didn't have to set it up like that. My recording software actually recognizes the FM3 as the input and not the input that my FM3 goes into (since the FM3 is connected to the computer via a USB). I don't have to do it like that... not sure why I do, but it works. It makes no difference if I go direct to the interface or use the FM3 into the interface. Hopefully, that didn't confuse.

UX2 and UX8 really well done pieces with all that included software and price.
My UX2 is great for getting ideas into the DAW. Has a bunch of effects. Line6 has so much packed into this thing. Mic preamps, guitar, and bass models..from a unit that is USB powered. I support Line6.
interesting thread!
It is.

One of the things I kinda like, is that I dont know what Im doing..The UX is nothing but a empty plastic box.

Here is a messin around track..Concentrate on the bass track. I wanted a loud strong thump of a bass note to drone into the verse.

TURN DOWN VOLUME! I started with the bass, making it loud enough. Then I turned the others up to compensate..what a mess..

Last edited:
This goes through the walls at night. You could drive a neighbor nuts with this. But can you hear it without a subwoofer in the monitors?

I couldn't hear a thing... through these puny little "speakers" in my laptop. I can hear it easily with headphones, tho.

I bet my transmission line IMFs downstairs would make an awful rumble. I think they hit around 23Hz.

Back