Direct Box question...

89gtsleeper

I currently am playing around with some recording a few different ways just to get familiar with the hard disk recorder I bought. I am getting my Mogami cables in a few weeks, along with a rolls direct box. My question is regarding where to put the direct box in the chain of events. I am lining right out the back of my amp into the board, and have tons of hum. Should I put the direct box between the amp and the board, or should I put it between my guitar and the amp??? I know the cables will help fix some of my problems, but I'm still concerned about where to put this...

I have had good luck putting my Radial JDI (DI box) in the chain just before the pre-amp. If there was any noise before, none after. Example: bass to amp to Radial JDI to pre-amp.

Charlie

As long as you are coming out of the line output of the amp (not the speaker output), you would plug the line out of the amp into the direct box and then the direct box into the mic preamp (mixer, whatever). That will get the amp sound into the feed.

If you plug the guitar into the DI, you will just get the sound of the pickups.

89gtsleeper said:
I currently am playing around with some recording a few different ways just to get familiar with the hard disk recorder I bought. I am getting my Mogami cables in a few weeks, along with a rolls direct box. My question is regarding where to put the direct box in the chain of events. I am lining right out the back of my amp into the board, and have tons of hum. Should I put the direct box between the amp and the board, or should I put it between my guitar and the amp??? I know the cables will help fix some of my problems, but I'm still concerned about where to put this...

It sounds like a ground loop, and high dollar cables won't do a thing for that. Put the DI between the preamp out and the board input, and ground lift the DI.

Back