Dimarzio .vs Seymour Duncan (Shingle Rectumfrier)

cellardweller

I've had my Mesa Solo 50 head (v.2) mothballed for a while, but let 'er off the chain this week.

I plugged in my Schecter C7 (w/Seymour Duncan JB ...I think) and it sounded like complete butt.

I then plugged in the ol Ibanez w/ Dimarzio evolution PU and it sounded MUCH better...brighter...more definition and less mud. It was the band-aid/quick fix.

I enjoy playing the Schecter, but I just can't seem to make it bright enough without fizzing out...if ya know what I mean!

I don't recall having this problem in the past, and was wondering if someone might be able to offer some advice....

Thanks.

Possibly noteworthy also; I don't recall hearing such a pronoucned/extreme difference when playing through solid state amps/modeler's.

I mean the DRUMBER could tell the difference and preferred the ibanez!!!

I had a very similar problem when I bought my Carvin Legacy. I had been using a Duncan JB in my Fender HM Strat for many years. The Strat sounded like complete poop through the Legacy. After plugging in a friends Ibanez I realized that it was the JB causing the problem. I swapped it out for a Duncan Distortion and it sounds a million times better.

I have a JB in my Rick 650. It is the humbucker model with coil taps for single or dual. Running it as single gets it much brighter but I prefer the dual coil mode. It sounds great!

I'd check the resistance of the coils and call SD tech support. They will help you sort it out.

I had a defective SD in my Epi Les Paul deluxe which turned out to be defective and they replaced no questions asked.

The Evolution is a lower output pickup, with a ceramic magnet instead of an Alnico II. That is going to tend to give you a bit more articulation.

Sounds to me like you need a different pickup for your Schecter.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

The Evolution is actually pretty damned hot - I thought it was hotter than a JB, actually, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Two questions -

1.) is this an Evolution 7 as well, or is the Evo a 6 and the JB a 7? Range could be making a difference here, with a Rectifier in Modern mode and a seven string, you really need to take it easy on the bass.

2.) How close is the JB to the strings? Longtime JB players, especially JB-7 players, tell me that the modern JB is super sensitive to height changes, and that if you don't get it positioned right, it's either going to be thin and weak, or flubby, indistinct, and muddy. Based on your description, I'd try to back it off a bit - I'm trying to remember where my buddy suggested I start, but I want to say it was around 5mm.

The other thing is if you really just don't like it, a modern JB is wound a hell of a lot hotter than an 80's JB. Wolfetone rewinds them to 80's specs, and I've heard nothing but the most glowing praise about this wind. Tell him you're looking for the same wind he did for Dave and Mike from Division.

The evolution is on a 6-string ibanez.
The JB is on a Schecter C7 blackjack (7-string).

I'm fairly sure the JB is not terribly close, but I'll have to have a look.

I did look it up.

Just checked it myself. DC resistance of 13.84 for the Evo (6-string), compared to 16.4 for the JB. So, the JB's a bit hotter, but when you compare them both to a Dimarzio PAF bridge, at 8.71, it's kind of a question of splitting hairs; the Evo is 1.59 times as hot as the PAF, while the 1.88 times as hot.

I mean, yes, you're right, he JB is a bit hotter... but considering both pickups are pretty damned hot, I'd be surprised if the output alone was the sole factor.

A common complaint with the JB is it has kind of woofy bass (though dialing it back helps somewhat), while the Evolution has solid but fairly tight low end but is really focused more in the upper midrange. If it's NOT a setup issue, I'd guess this is where you're running into trouble, that the JB is adding a lot of bass to an already bass-heavy amp, while the way the Evo is really juicing the upper mids is just working for you with the Recto.

I mean, the Evo is one of the hottest couple pickups Dimarzio produces...

Back