Digitech Twin Tube GFX1 - any users?

NeoMagick

Anyone use this piece? Anyone needed a foot controller and rigged up a generic midi controller board in place of the OEM one - if so, how? Anyone got any software for it? Patches, bios updates, etc? It's not exactly well known on the nets out there - if anyone has some tools or tips or tricks, especially in use live, I'd like to strike up a conversation.

You still have this? I have the one I bought in 1992 or so. I never got the matching foot controller (I should have), I use my ADA MC-1 instead. I am looking for the controller, though.

I have one tip for high gain sounds. Start with your noise gate threshold at 1, the minimum. Then adjust your "Level w/Tubes" from low and raise it till the noise is above the threshold, and lower it down from there. Use that as your starting level. Of course if you are matching patches in volume for live playing, you might have to raise the level of some of the patches, and you will have to adjust the noise gate threshold a little higher.

I guess what I'm trying to say is try to use as low a noise gate threshold as possible, and do this by keeping your "Level w/Tubes" parameter as low as possible too.

I'm running my GFX1 through a Peavey Classic 60/60 into a 1986 Randall R-412-JT 4x12. I can't crank it at the apartment, so have to use computer modeling for now. One thing I regret is never sending it in for warranty service for the "no EQ bug". It's a bug where no matter what patch you have, the EQ doesn't work. A reboot fixes it. Now they want $$$ to fix this.

I don't have that unit, and I'm not familiar with it, but I do have an old Digitech GSP7 for which I use a Rolls MidiBuddy foot controller. They continue to be available and are pretty cheap.

Digitech GFX1

Is it possible to run a Vox tonelab through the midi cable into these Twin tube preamps?Is there more to it than just running your midi from one piece to the other?

Welcome Stratottack,

I don't see why you'd have a problem with it.
I have my twin tube GFX1 midi daisy-chained with several Yamaha SPX units.

Channels change just fine for me.

I'm not too familiar with the VOX tonelab, but if it has the midi out port on it,
I don't see a problem.
Unless I'm not understanding, your question right.

Digitech GFX1-Twin tube preamp

Hey thanks!I'm going to hook it up with the midi.The manual for the Vox said to see the owners manual for the Twin tube before installing and since I purchased my twin tube used awhile back,there isn't a manual to look at.I am however going to pick up one from Digitech pretty soon.Man I appreciate your reply.I'll see how it goes.These are two awesome sounding pieces.Old as hell but great sounds.I've got the Vox running through a 1/4 inch straight into my rack chain at the moment and you can't beat the sound.I figured with the midi,it might give me better clarity.Again thanks alot.

Don't know if I'm understanding you clearly...

But MIDI will not pass an audio signal,...it only transmits DATA.

You would have to convert midi to transfer audio.

Yeah, the GFX1 is a favorite of mine too. I also have the rare midi footswitch that goes with it, to change the channels.
I run my synths through it for that warm analog tube sound...along with my tape echos. ( I have several various tape echos ) I'm somewhat of a tape echo collector.

I might have the manual for the GFX1 around here somewhere.
If I find it, I'll scan it and send you a PDF.
Not makin' any promises though,..but if I do find it,..you'll have it.

Attachments

• Digitech gfx1 015.jpg
    Digitech gfx1 015.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 482
  • Digitech gfx1 010.jpg
    Digitech gfx1 010.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 499
twin tube GFX1

Hey Vessel2020.Is it complicated to convert midi to audio?Like I said,I'm running out of the Vox "out" to the first section of my chain in my rack which is my tuner straight to the Digitech preamp,finally ending up going out to the power amp.So far I've got one heck of a sound.I'm pretty new to running the midi's and I actually thought my sound would be transfered.If it's complicated then I'll leave it as is.I'm hooked on the tube sound myself,and this Twin tube does the trick for me.If you happen to come across that manual,it would be great.If not,I think Digitech said they'd make a copy for about five bucks.Man,I do appreciate what you've done so far.Any information was great!THANKS :}

Just FYI Digitech discontinued those particular units because the tubes will sometimes get so hot that they cause it to malfunction. That's he reason that the 2101,2112,and 2120 are all 2 space units.

Just FYI Digitech discontinued those particular units because the tubes will sometimes get so hot that they cause it to malfunction. That's he reason that the 2101,2112,and 2120 are all 2 space units.

Ocnor, You are definitely correct on that one!
That is why, I had to transfer, and leave a decent space in between another unit. They get REALLY hot. :eek:
But, I haven't had any problems with the 2 units I've had for quite some time now..."knock,knock"

The GFX1 definitely adds some nice flavor for an older effects/ preamp unit.:D

Hey Vessel2020.Is it complicated to convert midi to audio?Like I said,I'm running out of the Vox "out" to the first section of my chain in my rack which is my tuner straight to the Digitech preamp,finally ending up going out to the power amp.So far I've got one heck of a sound.I'm pretty new to running the midi's and I actually thought my sound would be transfered.If it's complicated then I'll leave it as is.I'm hooked on the tube sound myself,and this Twin tube does the trick for me.If you happen to come across that manual,it would be great.If not,I think Digitech said they'd make a copy for about five bucks.Man,I do appreciate what you've done so far.Any information was great!THANKS :}

I am sorry to inform you that I am not the person to try and explain the
"MIDI world" to you. I will have you runnin' in circles, and not afraid to say so.

You'd be much better off asking someone on here a little more qualified to do so. I know just enough about midi, to get me by.
Although, My whole setup consists of several synths,..You would think I'd know much more. There are some good sites out there that can teach you step by step from the ground - up, though.

I'll try to dig up some old links for ya,..but someone else will probably beat me to it, anyway.
Didn't get a chance to look for the manual yet,..but I will. Try to hang tight.

Twin tube

I appreciate everyones help on this! I found a site off of google that tells you how to do the transfer."Alot of work it seems" Anyway,I do keep an eye on the over heating factor and space mine as well and run a dual rack fan to keep it somewhat chilled.On the other models can you run more than one effect at a time?If so it might be worth looking into.That's mainly why I use the Vox tonelab in front.I'm a roto freak with a delay addiction:D .Man this twin tube does help matters alot.I enjoy being able to adjust the wet- dry signal.I'll do some more research on the other models that way I can keep the million questions I have,for the computer to answer.I don't know if this is the place to do all of the questions,but I sure thank you guy's.

I bought one really cheap once, loved the sound, but then sold it for much more than I bought it for...

And midi will not transport or translate audio in any form... it's a prehistoric data communication protocol that most mid to high end Audio devices still adhere to. It sends patch changes to effects devices, or triggers samples for synths or samplers. A sequencer can record a performance with midi data, and you can then replay the same performance using different patches to try different instruments on the same performance... etc.

A sequencer can record a performance with midi data, and you can then replay the same performance using different patches to try different instruments on the same performance... etc.

That's what I meant about transfering it to an audio signal.

You would need a sequencer to play the midi files.

I found the manual but it is too large to put up on here.
Send me a message, with your email address, and I will send it to your email.

Back