digitech gsp 2101?

shhhhhhhhhh!!!! digitech wants their old 2101/ TSR-24 line to be forgotten about

these two pieces of gear were coded soon after parent company harmon accuired Lexicon/DBX/Eventide...etc....

to my knowledge, these are the ONLY pieces besides the eventides that do TRUE harmonizing

The step up from the Digitech GSP-21/DSP256XL to the 2101/TSR-24 was A-FRIGGIN-MAZING

DBX's compressor tecjnology, Eventide's harmonizer, Lexicon's choruses and verbs...
True Stereo FX loop, sampling, triggering, gating

Harman realized that people would ask " why buy a PCM 9000 or H3000, when the TSR-24 can do it ? "

so much for us guys :(

next generation of gear from digitech was CRAP so that it wouldnt compete with the bigger boys

mono fx loop, no more TSR-24, yeah we got the studio Quad YUK....

notice I havent said anything about the quality of the preamp section of the 2101...thats up to you...I found it useable for a lot of stuff, but ....

That was interesting to know from pipelineaudio. Especially because I used to own a 2120 and didn't love it. Mainly because of the crappy "tube" preamp. The effects were ok and included true harmonizing, but colored my tone too much to be of use.

I would have recommended against the 2101 based on my experiences with the 2120. However, it appears the 2101 may be a different beast.

preamp wise theres better stuff out there, but the 2101 plus the pedalboard for it makes a SERIOUS control system. If its just for in studio fx use I'd get a TSR 24. But for live stuff, you can use a different pre, with the 2101 in the fx loop, and control the other pre with the 2101's midi mapping, and if you can safely spluit the signal, you get a tuner that shows up on your pedalboard!

Thanx for the info guys, I guess i will go out and try one. I know a local store that has two of them.
Please, anyone else feel free to recommend whatever?
I have used boss and dod for years now and just want to step up in the effects category.

dragonworks said:
Thanx for the info guys, I guess i will go out and try one. I know a local store that has two of them.
Please, anyone else feel free to recommend whatever?
I have used boss and dod for years now and just want to step up in the effects category.

Dragonworks,

I have owned the chrome faced Guitar Center exclusive version of the GSP2101 Artist since 1996 I think. I find that it has alot of great effects and can actually record a fairly decent direct recorded signal in conjunction with the speaker cab simulator (a button on the back of the unit). There are TONS of presets out there for emulating alot of your favorite artists. As with alot of this stuff... some are really good and close to the tone you are trying to emulate... some sound like goat farts. :D

Ok, good stuff being said, here's the BAD side. This unit is pretty much un-usable when it comes to having an outboard preamp coupled with the effects portion ONLY of the 2101. What I mean is, Digitech notoriously puts their own sonic STAMP on the tone coming into the 2101. So even though I own a Mesa Boogie TriAxis and an ADA MP-1 preamp (which sound DRASTICALLY different), when I feed that preamp signal into the 2101, bypassing the preamp section, it STILL sounds like a Digitech preamp. I think the reason why is that the effects receive and stuff are still A/D converted (at 16 bits I think) and there is no TRUE analog passthru for your outboard preamp signal to enter the effects portion of the unit. :(

So basically, if you can get the tone you are looking for out of the 2101's preamp and then have the luxury of all the onboard effects, cool! However, if you are thinking of using the 2101 as an effects unit only with an outboard preamp, you might want to pass on it and get a newer effects unit (or two or three) with 24 bit A/D converters and TRUE analog passthru.

Good luck with your choices!

Shred 'til yer dead,
Jeff

ProgMetalShred said:
Digitech notoriously puts their own sonic STAMP on the tone coming into the 2101. So even though I own a Mesa Boogie TriAxis and an ADA MP-1 preamp (which sound DRASTICALLY different), when I feed that preamp signal into the 2101, bypassing the preamp section, it STILL sounds like a Digitech preamp.

Good points. That is the exact problem I had with the 2120.

Suggestion for dragonworks: get TC Electronics or Lexicon effects with a TriAxis pre. :)

I looked into lexicons new rack mount guitar processor MX200 something? They are to pricey for me used even. I didnt look into any TC electronics equipment but I will look into it. Can anyone reccomend something used from either of these companies in the
400 500 dollar range.

dragonworks said:
I looked into lexicons new rack mount guitar processor MX200 something? They are to pricey for me used even. I didnt look into any TC electronics equipment but I will look into it. Can anyone reccomend something used from either of these companies in the
400 500 dollar range.

Sure, as far as the TC Electronics stuff goes, check out the G-Major multi effects. You can also purchase a foot control for it called the G-Minor. Basically the G-Major is a scaled down version of the G-Force (I think it basically is just missing the harmonizer). I know TONS of people that use this (mostly with their TriAxis') and they rave about how it doesn't color the trademark tone of the Boogie stuff at all. I am considering purchasing this unit as well to compliment my TriAxis, but haven't done so yet because I have all of the TC Works Native DirectX plugins and might be able to get similar quality without buying outboard gear like the G-Major.

I'm not real familiar with budget priced Lexicon multieffects. Most of people I know use the MPXG2 which is quite pricey. Again, the biggest problem with most of the cheap stuff is that they either don't use 24 bit DACs, or they color the bejeezus out of your preamp tone.... which is a DEFINITE NO-NO when it comes to an effects only unit.

Best of luck in making your choice.

Later,
Jeff

pipelineaudio said:
shhhhhhhhhh!!!! digitech wants their old 2101/ TSR-24 line to be forgotten about

these two pieces of gear were coded soon after parent company harmon accuired Lexicon/DBX/Eventide...etc....

to my knowledge, these are the ONLY pieces besides the eventides that do TRUE harmonizing

The step up from the Digitech GSP-21/DSP256XL to the 2101/TSR-24 was A-FRIGGIN-MAZING

I'm digging up this old thread cuz I'm curious about the 2101. I found some basic info, but am curious if anyone's got some $0.02 to add in. I know the GC edition has a chrome faceplate and added presets, but then there's also software updates like here which give improved effects - but is it viable for only certain versions (like the LE for instance)?

* The original (version 1.xx) : the basic unit.
* The Limited Edition (comes from 1995, version 2.xx) : different color on the front panel and fitted with the PPC-210 extension card.
* The Artist (from 1996, version 2.06 to 3.xx) : doesn’t have the ppc-210 extension but new effects and artist factory patches.

If I'm understanding right, you can make the LE an LE-Artist by a software upgrade, and the Artist an LE-Artist by adding in the PPC-210 card. Does the original have the add in space for the PPC-210?

Also, whats the differences between the 1eprom and 2eprom variations?

Anything you can throw in is appreciated. Cheers -

Last edited:
i had one. Be prepaired to spend a great deal of time figuring the this thing out. I beleive its a little hard to program because of its flexability. If your going to use it live you will need the foot controller. I got one thinking it would be a useful studio tool. I didn't fall in love with it enough to keep me from my stompboxes.

Back