Digital too analog. tell me if you like my idea.

shortedaman

Avid Audio Analyst
here is what i do to get that analog warmth from my digital setup. i have a boss br1200-cd i use it to its fullest. after the tracks are laid down, i mix it till im satisfied everything is sitting in the right place. after that, i run the line outs into two analog eq's and two analog cassette decks. i use Maxell Professional Industrial C90 tapes. i play the recording back through the first eq ( set flat,) and into the first recording tape deck. then i take the recording on that first cassette (of the already mixed song,) and run the line outs of the first tape deck to the second. record again. now i have two tapes of the song. were now seeing alot of analog warmth. then i run the line outs of the second deck through the second eq ( adjust eq too taste,) and back into the line inputs of my boss br1200. that's it. really simple and adds a whole lot of that old school analog warmth and vibe. then after all is said and done i can master in my br1200 or ill export to protools for mastering, and use my choice of mastering plug-ins. im a knobs and buttons kind of guy. as the others have said ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE BUT WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

the eq's are 1. 1980's marantz 7 band stereo eq
2. early 90's Mitsubishi 7 band stereo eq

the tape decks are 1. a 1980's marantz dual tape deck
2. a 90's Mitsubishi dual tape deck

also, please let me know what you all think of this type of setup. it has done wonders for me.

go to tapeop.com for a free subscription to one of the best recording magazines on the planet. i live on that mag and it doesnt cost me anything. great for budget conscious producers.

here is what i do to get that analog warmth from my digital setup. i have a boss br1200-cd i use it to its fullest. after the tracks are laid down, i mix it till im satisfied everything is sitting in the right place. after that, i run the line outs into two analog eq's and two analog cassette decks. i use Maxell Professional Industrial C90 tapes. i play the recording back through the first eq ( set flat,) and into the first recording tape deck. then i take the recording on that first cassette (of the already mixed song,) and run the line outs of the first tape deck to the second. record again. now i have two tapes of the song. were now seeing alot of analog warmth. then i run the line outs of the second deck through the second eq ( adjust eq too taste,) and back into the line inputs of my boss br1200. that's it. really simple and adds a whole lot of that old school analog warmth and vibe. then after all is said and done i can master in my br1200 or ill export to protools for mastering, and use my choice of mastering plug-ins. im a knobs and buttons kind of guy. as the others have said ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE BUT WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

the eq's are 1. 1980's marantz 7 band stereo eq
2. early 90's Mitsubishi 7 band stereo eq

also, please let me know what you all think of this type of setup. it has done wonders for me.

go to tapeop.com for a free subscription to one of the best recording magazines on the planet. i live on that mag and it doesnt cost me anything. great for budget conscious producers.

RoFL!!!!!!

Now Now.....don't poke fun. I hear those marantz dual tape decks are the shit. Especially the coveted 80's model. In fact, I heard it through the grapevine that Waves is working on a 1980's marantz dual tape deck modeler plugin.

Now Now.....don't poke fun. I hear those marantz dual tape decks are the shit. Especially the coveted 80's model. In fact, I heard it through the grapevine that Waves is working on a 1980's marantz dual tape deck modeler plugin.
Yeah, right after they finish their Sony ElCasset plug. :rolleyes:

Hey, if you like the sound, then roll with it. Personally, for me "analog warmth" has an entirely different definition than "low pass at 12k and add two generations of ferric tape hiss". I can see how it might be used as an interesting one-off special effect here or there, but as an "analog warmth" effect? Thanks, no.

G.

The wow and flutter of a 20 yr old drive belt alone would be enough to ruin any recording. Can't imagine this is the way to add analog to your digital set up.

I know alot of folks miss that analogue warmth and all that....but you just reminded me of why I am so thankful for digital.

i guess. but its worked for me. i have tons of digital equipment, i use protools, cubase, waves, and the like, and the sound i get from this has really worked for me. it makes me sad that everyone on this site has to hate. no one has given me any better options. you all just hate and make fun. you want to hear what this has done for me go to WWW.MySpace.com/Julietnervosa . i recorded all of those tracks using this method. no one here is helping me learn anything, isn't this what this site is here for?

Hey Short....This is your thread title:
tell me if you like my idea.

You asked....you got. Next time, don't ask if it's just going to make you cry like a baby. Nobody's hating YOU, but your "method" is a joke, in the opinion of the people that responded to your resquest, which was
tell me if you like my idea.
Next time, don't ask....or grow up. :rolleyes:

(By the way, I clicked the link to listen, but it says that the site is down for maintanence at the moment)

Especially the coveted 80's model.
Look, Murderer, this statement alone makes zero sense. The fact is the whole story is bullshit, whether you personally believe it or not.

There is no such thing as "an 80's model" Marantz. Marantz manufactured several different models that changed every year (or two at the most.). They had at least twenty, and probably closer to forty different models of cassette deck in the 80s, each with it's own combination of record head/playback head technology, 2- or 3-head configuration, preamp design and motor drive. To say that there is "a coveted 80's model of Marantz" or that all Marantz decks sounded alike back then is like saying there's a coveted 80's model of Ford and that they all - from the '81 Maverick to the '89 LTD - drove pretty much the same.

Secondly, I used to sell audio gear back in the 80s, many different brands, including Marantz, and I can tell you that there was/is no special stigma applied to Marantz tape decks; they were never especially famous or noted for the quality or sound of their cassette machines. Receivers and amplifiers were probably their strongest suit back then.

Thirdly, if you want quality sound and construction, especially back then, you stayed away from dual deck machines like the plague. With a few minor exceptions, the dual decks tended to be the cheaper technology, because otherwise they'd price themselves right out of the market.

You want "Analog warmth"? Get yourself a decent mic pre , and/or a decent channel strip, and/or a decent-quality optical compressor, and/or an analog tape system using tape at least twice as wide - and preferably four times or more wider - than the G-string of tape from which cassettes are made.

And put that stupid "hate" card away, guys. There's no "hate" involved, just folks who know better.

G.

Sorry dude, guess I should point it out whenever I'm being sarcastic. I suppose it wasn't obvious enough.
Sorry, apparently something's gone haywire with my sarcasm sensor lately; it just isn't detecting like it used to :(.

I think it's the astrophotography forum I've been frequenting lately, where apparently no one has a sense of humor. :cool:

G.

Sorry, apparently something's gone haywire with my sarcasm sensor lately; it just isn't detecting like it used to .

I think it's the astrophotography forum I've been frequenting lately, where apparently no one has a sense of humor.

G.

People should never take anything I post seriously.......I mean it....seriously.

Cool....I listened to the tracks on the myspace page. The songs didn't sound all that great but I noticed at the bottom there was links to buy this music straight from the artist. But I'm not going to buy them....instead I'm gonna connect my soundcard to a $75 soundesign stereo (you know, those things they sold in the 80's that came with 3 inch speakers in 5 foot tall particleboard boxes and the stereo was also its own shelf!!) and rip them straight from the myspace player. Hey, all that cheapness is trendy so it will make them sound obviously better. Wait, Maybe they'll sound even better If I use a Mac!

Seriously guy, ditch that bullshit. With all due respect, I've heard better recordings mastered on a handheld digital memo recorder.

Not jump on the bandwagon, but they really don't sound good. I noticed especially that the high end sounds like it's a second or third generation cassette; very grainy and anything BUT "warm".

Like NL5 said, when people talk about "tape warmth", they're talking about 2 inch real-to-real studio tapes. Not cassette, which is probably the worst format ever used for audio.

I have to say that the songs are good, but the "mastering" doesn't do them justice at all.

...cassette, which is probably the worst format ever used for audio..

:( Argh! you guys are killing me here...this is my bread and butter...surely there must be some format that is worse..? Like mp3?

I don't get the point of the OP's process, but cassette tape can sound quite good on its own...:p:D

Back