Digital spikes.

Bstage

Im getting some wierd little glitches on my digital audio recordings.... The spike is inaudible and does not peak out my meters. Im thinking it is my hard drive clicking but not too sure. It happens about every 2 minutes.

Sonar 2XL 44.1 audio in.

I have a RME Multiface, 1.4 Athalon with 768 DDR Ram
Standard issue Compaq.... 44.1 going into the Multiface with Latency at 5.6 mil. through a 16ft optical.

Thanks

Have you tried recording just a blank track ... like set an output to one not in use and don't have the external interface plugged in and see if it spiked... I'm just trying to figure out how you can test wether it is the computer or if it is on the signal path where it is picking up the interference.... are you running any background tasks... like do you check for mail every 2 minutes and have your mail program open when you are recording?

Also, when you zoom into the track, does the wave form jump to 0db when the 'click' happens or is it something different to that?

Porter

spikes

I'm running the same processor and have the same problem from time 2 time. I have a midiman delta 66 sound card and like a gig of ram. What I get is audible sound spikes in wave files that occur after they have been recorded and are stored on my hard drive for a while. I thought it might be a grounding issue with my set up but it is a mystery to me. I've had to deal with it for quite sometime and it is annoying. Large wave files will develop multiple spike for some reason after sometime. Although this isn't not a solution to your problem it is similiar. You might have the latency buffer set wrong on the audio tab. Try adjusting that. It didn't work for me but your problem sounds like a buffer or driver issue...

^^^

Thanks everyone.... What I will try to do is attatch a picture of the spikes and post them.. I will check that article to ensure my settings are configured corretly.

The inaudible spike appears at the same location on the tracks so I am thinking that my hard drive is glitching for a moment... possible cache issue.. Im not too sure....

Back