Digital Recording Techniques for Beginners

Brendan_Owens

I know the previous thread I wrote was mainly based on equipment and I appreciate the emails and help I have been given from everyone. Also I see that many threads in this forum are similar to mine. Because of this, I would also like to add a question about exactly what you do when you record as long as equipment needed for recording.

Clarifying this a bit, I basically just asking(I use the word basically loosely) on the steps and procedures needed and used to record.

Ex:

1. What's the first thing I do to start recording? Do I just jack into a computer or 8-track and play?

2. After recording the instruments and vocals, how do I put them together and add effects?

Those are just some basic questions, because now that I know what kinds of equipment I should buy, I am still clueless on the process of recording and clueless on how the equipment works.

Thanks a lot!

WELLLLLLL Brendon:

It depends.

If you have a SIAB, you need to plug in a mic or two or 1/4 inch in directly from a synth & drum machine.

If you are doing "live," you need to mic the group and that's easier said than done.

For FX or effects, you either need "on-board effects" as are found in many digital SIAB's. If not included in the unit you use, you need to have an "outboard" or additional Fx box that will give reverb.

I suggest you get a low cost 8 track digital SIAB and start out.

Once you begin to get the knack of tracks and "mixing," which is something you do when you have your tracks recorded. Mixing? This puts all your tracks down into a two track stereo position. From there, you either run it to cassette tape or burn a CD.

What's nice about a SIAB with the cd built in is that you can do it all with that one box. SIAB? == Studio in a box.

If you go for a PC recording program, I'll let those other folks on this site elaborate.

Good Luck Man,

Green Hornet

:D :cool: :p ;)

Brendan_Owens said:

1. What's the first thing I do to start recording? Do I just jack into a computer or 8-track and play?

2. After recording the instruments and vocals, how do I put them together and add effects?

3.Those are just some basic questions, because now that I know what kinds of equipment I should buy, I am still clueless on the process of recording and clueless on how the equipment works.....

1. What are you trying to record?
Are you using instruments?
If yes, then how many?
Are you using a SAIB?
Are you using a laptop PC?
Are you using a desktop PC?
Are you using a MAC? Lap or Desk?
Do you have a soundcard?
What type of inputs do you have? How many?
The same goes for OUTPUTS....

Give us some more info..... ;)

2. You will need to record the instruments on seperate tracks.
If you go the PC or MAC route, you will need to get a multi-track program and an editing program. The program you use will have FX. Plus, you can purchase additional effects from third party vendors.

3. We will give you some more info....

spin

So tell me if I have a general idea here...

If using a SIAB(which is probably the route I will go), I would plug a mic into the station then record the track. After recording the track I can add effects and edit it from the station. After recording the first track, let's say guitar, I would then repeat the process with drums, vocals, bass, and synth. When all individual tracks are recorded, I then "mix" them. Do I somehow hope that the timing is correct or do I bend the tracks somehow to fit or use a more conventional method, like using a metronome(sp) on each track. Maybe I would just listen to the track I just recorded and play/sing along with that...

Is the computer method(desktop) about the same as a SIAB, just instead of jacking a mic into a SIAB, I would jack a mic into some piece of hardware that plugs into the PC? Then do the editing and mixing from the PC?

What are inputs and outputs? Is that additional hardware that just lets you jack into a computer and/or SIAB? Also, I thought all computers came with some sort of soundcard. Are you just asking if I have a professional or recording grade soundcard? What exactly does a soundcard do?

Sorry if these questions seem a little obvious, but I believe that once I get the general idea I will be alright. Thanks!

Brendan_Owens said:
So tell me if I have a general idea here...

If using a SIAB(which is probably the route I will go),

1. I would plug a mic into the station then record the track.

2. After recording the track I can add effects and edit it from the station.

3. After recording the first track, let's say guitar, I would then repeat the process with drums, vocals, bass, and synth.

4. When all individual tracks are recorded, I then "mix" them.

5. Do I somehow hope that the timing is correct or do I bend the tracks somehow to fit or use a more conventional method, like using a metronome(sp) on each track.

6. Maybe I would just listen to the track I just recorded and play/sing along with that...

7. Is the computer method(desktop) about the same as a SIAB, just instead of jacking a mic into a SIAB, I would jack a mic into some piece of hardware that plugs into the PC?

8. Then do the editing and mixing from the PC?

9. What are inputs and outputs?

10. Is that additional hardware that just lets you jack into a computer and/or SIAB?

11. Also, I thought all computers came with some sort of soundcard.

12. Are you just asking if I have a professional or recording grade soundcard? What exactly does a soundcard do?

13. Sorry if these questions seem a little obvious, but I believe that once I get the general idea I will be alright. Thanks!

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. However you would record the drums first.
4. Yes.
5. They will be correct if you lay down your drums first. Or if you lay a "click" track (metronome).
6. Yes.
7. Yes, they are very similar. The SAIB is just that (an ALL in one box).
PC or MAC based recording offers you more options in terms of price, upgrading, expansion, and products.
8. Yes, recording, mixing, and editing.
9. Those are the ports that allow you to go IN and OUT of a device.
10. It can be.
11. They do. However, the quality of their AD/DA (analogue to digital/ digital to analogue) converters are not the best. That is why most/all home recording individuals upgrade their soundcards.
12. Yes. That is what I was asking you. Soundcards convert the analogue realm into the digital realm and inversely, digital to analogue.
13. No problem. That is what we are here for...... :)

Peace.

spin

You need to do some more reading, then decide if you want to use a stand-alone recorder or do you want to go PC based.

We can help steer you in the correct direction. But... you need to let us know how much money you want to spend. And you need to let us know if you need your system to be portable.

If you need portability, then you probably will want to go the stand-alone route (eventhough, you can build a PC to be portable [there's also the laptop route, but you will have to sacrifice hard drive speed]).

Yada yada yada......

spin

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all that help. It really clarigified a ton of stuff for me and hopefully other people as well.

I was looking to spend anywhere from 500-2000 dollars. I could probably go higher if i needed to. Seeing that i havent spent any money at all in the past six months and making it tax free for being in iraq, i have enough to start a decent little studio project. i figured i needed another hobby besides drinking. Thats all that everyone seems to do in the 82nd.

Anyway, if the computer route seems like it has more options for less, why do most people still prefer or recommend a SAIB?

That's about it for now. Hope you can give me some SAIB recommendations and PC recommendations now that i have a budget.

Thanks again!

Back