digital piano (under $1000)

dbeanerz

i am sick of using half-sensitive keys, etc.

i would really enjoy picking up a digital piano, with
full size, full velocity, weighted keys.

of course, would really enjoy a nice sound as well.

any ideas as to whats the best? been looking
at yamahas.

Yamahas are good. I have the Korg Sp-200; it's an 88-key model. Key feel is excellent --that's the main reason I bought it. It was under a grand 2 years ago; now it's probably like $700. Check out Korg line; I think they make excellent stuff. Good luck.

p.s. take a pair of good heaphones with you when you audition these things; it really helps.

There's a review in the April 06 Sound on Sound of M-Audio's 'Prokeys 88' and from what they say about it you owe it to yourself to check it out before you buy anything else.

Here's a link to the listing for it @ Zzounds...

I just tried the M-Audio Pro keys 88 and compared it to several other stage e-pianos, consumer e-pianos and controllers.

I thought the M-audio while not terrible still felt a little muddy, sponging, etc (pick your favorite word). Although the sounds were very decent.

I was very impressed with the Yamaha P140 (street price just a little over $1,000). It had what I thought was the best weighted action feel of over a dozen different keyboards I tried. The sounds were what you expect from a Yamaha - not as precise as a Kurzweil, but still very useable.

I've tried the various Yamaha P series, some Korgs, Rolands, etc. etc and never bought anything because nothing ever demanded my attention (Ive got waaaay too much gear already, so I'm strating to get very, very selective in my purchases. The P140 real grabbed my attention and I plan to purchase one within the next month or so!!!

Try the M-Audio - for the price it may be the right thing for many people - but I suggest you also try the P140 - to me it was a no brainer.

I've just done a 180 on my opinion of my choice of a digital piano.

I was completely convinced that I wanted a Yamaha P140 (although the RCA outs did not make me all warm and fuzzy). Just before I was ready to pull out the credit card I decided to try a few more keyboards - some I had tried before and some I had not:

M-Audio Pro 88 - Once again I found the feel to be lacking

Korg PS250 - Once again I thought it had decent feel nad decent sounds, but I was not won over (I've never been much of a Korg guy)

Yamaha P70 - I was told it had the same feel and same sampled piano as the P140 for 1/2 the price. However, it has no audio outs (other than head phones) - which you would think the sales guy would have mentioned

Roland PD9 - (discountinued) This was a floor model (still over $1,000). I really liked the feel and the sounds were very decent - but at 80lbs I just could not make myself commit to something that heavy

So I was ready to buy the P140 when I decided to play the Casio PX310 - just to kill time until the sales guy got off the phone. Now I tried an older Casio previously (PX100) and was not impressed - and who really considers Casio for "pro use" - so I did not really have any serious thoughts about the Casio.

Surprise surprise - I liked the feel, the sounds were very decent, it has some decent system options and a set of GM sounds to boot - less than 30lbs. All for a little over $500. I almost hate to admit it - but I bought one!!!

Anyone looking at the M-Audio Pro 88 in the $500 range should at least try the PX310 - while the M-Audio is more of a controller (and if that's important then the M-Audio may be the right choice) - but I think the PX310 feels and sounds better. The PX310 could and should be given consideration by anyone looking for a hammer action digital piano

That is funny you mention that - Best Buy carries that model I believe, and I used to work there, and was always impressed with the feel/sound. Thanks for remind me, and let me know how it works out for you.

The only thing that concerns me is 32-note polyphonic. Will that ever really get in the way? I'm not a pro/trained pianist by any means...

Normally I would not be concerned with 32 note polyphonic for a piano - you would have to be playing some very complex chords with a lot of damper pedal and I would think the actual chords would start to sound way to muddy (busy) before you would run out of notes.

Now if you are layering sounds (say a string sound on top of a piano) that could start getting close to the 32 note limit. However, I gave that some thought before I committed to the Casio and I'm not convinced it will be an issue. I spent a fair amount of time playing the Casio before I committed - and I did not hear any "note stealing" in any of the piano parts I played - including some 7 and 8 note chords.

Now a multi timbral synth/workstation - that is laying down multiple tracks of keys, bass, drums, etc - a 32 note limit would be a real issue.

I own several keyboard modules - so I plan to use the Casio solely for piano - thus the 32 notes should be fine (at lease for my application).

Now I feel really embarassed that a picked a piano that you can buy at Best Buy :D :D

Ha. I agree that a Best Buy keyboard isnt exactly something you take a picture of and show off on Myspace, but really, the piano sound from what I can recall was wonderful.

Anyways, I might be joining the Casio Club here very soon. I really just intend on using the piano sound as well. Thanks for your reply.

Mike, I'm impressed by your careful comparison and a choice that moves beyond brand name. I've always believed that there are many excellent, sometimes superior, choices offered by lesser-known or lesser-respected companies. I do my best to search them out.

Enjoy your new keys,

J.

jeffree,

Thank you for your kind words. I have made more than my share of impulse buys and I've got a closet full of gear that I don't use and can't sell to prove it.

I've never been a "gear snob" and while I have some quality pieces of gear that have cost more than I would like, I also have various gear that would not many people's "wish list" but gear that has served my needs well (oh yes even a couple pieces of Behringer gear).

While many pieces of gear can be hard to accurely test in a music store (processing gear, mics, etc.) digital painos can be relatively accurate to test - so I took my time and tried several.

I plan to track the Casio in a session Friday night - I guess that's when I'll find out for certain if this was a wise choice :D

mikeh said:
I plan to track the Casio in a session Friday night - I guess that's when I'll find out for certain if this was a wise choice :D

Do let us know how it goes, Mike. I see a new keyboard (for recording only) in my future, so I'm taking notes.

J.

Yamaha P80 all the way baby!!

I've got a Yamaha P80 that is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I bought it about five six years ago. Don't know if they make it anymore. But you should maybe look at the used market/ebay for one. Every now and then I think of selling and getting an Alesis Fusion, but I think that'd be a mistake.

Hey Philanddon

I too have a P80 - wondering how you think the samples are around A above middle C - I've always thought mine were a bit dodgy, not as good as the other notes - doesn't matter if I transpose, so it's the samples, not the keys.

But I'm not a piano player, I'm a guitarist, so maybe I'm just imagining it.

Do you have any similar experiences?

Cheers

If you don't require built in speakers, I can recommend the Yamaha P90. I own one and find it to be a great piece of gear. Very excellent. I have played the Casio model noted in this thread, and while not judging it's sound (sound after all is very personal), I can say I did not like the initial touch of the keys. If you press a key down slowly, you will hear the sample suddenly come on. The Yamaha features 3 sample layers with very realistic key-on attack qualities to effectively simulate hammers on the strings.

This may only be an issue with people who grew up on acoustic pianos. But I agree with others here - who cares what brand name is on it. If is sounds and feels good to you, then you've made the right choice. :)

Bob

roland rd 100

I love my Roland, so when a friend of mine (a guitarist) went shopping for a dp he bought a Roland because he knows how much I love mine. Well, I think the rd-100 might be discontinued because he couldn't find it, and the Roland he did bring home sounded like doody, way to bright, not like a real piano at all. I went back to the store with him and listened to everything there and I liked the p90 better than anything else I heard in that price range, though not as much as my rd 100. I highly recomend trying to find a used one.

oh yeah, things weighs a ton, in cace that's a consideration.

I've been playing for 4 decades. Recently, I started looking for a good, 88 key weighted, hammer action keyboard. I've looked at everything mentioned plus some older controllers as well....I'm sold on the little Casio Privia PX310 as well. The action is very nice and the sound is beautiful. I'll likely pick one up as well, this weekend. Excellent find at a great price. :cool:

Back