Digital or Grand piano??

TaxMan88

This will most likely be a post for Bruce or Sonusman. But if anyone else has anything to add, please do so.

Ok, I have a digital piano (Roland, sweet sounding piano) and a 6' Baldwin Grand. When I get all the equipment on my list, I will have the following mics:

AT4033
AKG D 3900 (I already have this one)
A couple of SM-58s (I already have these, too)
A couple of 57s (Got 'em)

NOW!
Would these mics be sufficent to mic the Grand well enough to record or should I just stick with the digital until I get more (close to) top notch mics?

If I'll get a better result just going with the Digital, I don't want to waste my time with the Grand until I'm equipped for it.

Thanks,
--Tax :D

I've miked a crusty upright with a 4033 and another 70 dollar condenser to get a stereo recording. It sounded beautiful to me. Way better than any electric piano IMHO.

You could even give a shot miking the sucker with 57's depending on how prominently you want to feature the piano in the mix.

You wont know what sounds better until you try it. Don't let equipment woes stop you from recording, or you'll spend more time looking through catalogs than actually making music.

G'luck
-Jett Rocker

Back