Digital on vinyl?

alex0203

Ok, I've never saw anyone bring up this question before, so excuse me if it's already been answered...

Is it redundant to put a whole cd that (that you recorded DIGITALLY) on a vinyl record? Just to clarify...If I record my whole cd digitally and then go get it pressed in vinyl, am I making an unnecessary move? Will it make a difference in sound quality?

It wouldn't be the same as all analog of course but I guess it would be like going to tape and might be nicer. Kind of expensive putting it to vinyl though. In that sense I don't know if it would be worth it.

Digital productions get pressed on vinyl more than you might think, especially these days. Analog is better but playing a digitally recorded vinyl, you still get the warmth and "pleasant distortion" inherent in the mechanical and electronic aspects of vinyl playback...that is if it's a decent quality pressing of course.

I'd also imagine that if the vinyl is cut the right way, you could get a higher fidelity recording if the audio were taken from a 24 bit, 96 khz file instead of a 16 bit, 44.1 khz CD.

-MD

Digital productions get pressed on vinyl more than you might think, especially these days. Analog is better but playing a digitally recorded vinyl, you still get the warmth and "pleasant distortion" inherent in the mechanical and electronic aspects of vinyl playback...that is if it's a decent quality pressing of course.

thanks!! You answered my question completely. Thanks to everyone else also, I was just having a hard time phrasing the question, but everyone's answered help me out :)

No one mentioned that digital and vinyl are also mixed and mastered different. The sound should be very nice in vinyl. What kind of music is it? Lots and lots and lots of people still press to record, don't let anyone tell you different. I have a number for a guy in Nashville that worked for Stax records and when they closed in (I think 1974 or 79) he bought the cutting lathe. PM me if your interested.

Now, WHY didja have to post the same question on two different forums? Please don't do that.

Wow, I thought vinyl was long gone. Good to know. Cant imagine its cheap to have done right though.

Back