Digital Mixer Question

Tukkis

Hey guys

I wanted to get a digital mixer like a yamaha or behringer or similar and I wanted to know if you can use it to control computer audio programs?

I use Cool Edit Pro 2 and was wondering if I could use the digital mixer which has motorized faders to control pan and volumes and record button?

Could I use cool edit pro or would I have to get other software or isn't this possible at all?

Can you only use digital mixers to control hard disk systems like the Alesis or Mackie or can you use a computer?

Thanks
Tukkis

If your mixer has midi in/out and your computer as well + if your sequencing program accepts control surfaces like an O2r, DDX3216,... (which most do) you can.

Herwig

I really don't think Cool Edit Pro will accept those controller change messages. You would probably have to use something like Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, or Cakewalk/Sonar, something more MIDI oriented.

I used my Roland VM3100 to control mixer fades in Logic but I found the GUI to be too complicated for what I do.

I was looking at Sonar and it looks like it accepts control surfaces. Can I use any digital mixer with Midi or does it have to be supported in Sonar?

Is there a code that you can program into Sonar that will make it work?

Thanks
Tukkis

read the manual, i don't know. I know Cubase has built-in templates for some popular control surfaces, otherwise you have to mke one of your own (= find the midi controller messages for all the functions and entering/matching them into the sequencer)

Herwig

Back