Digital/midi input for guitar/keys

Philby_Walsh

hey guys,

I'm doing a project for my IT course at college.
I'm still at the idea formulation stage & was hoping some of ye guys on
here could offer me some help/advice...

I was originally hoping to hook up a guitar to a PC and design a
program which would detect if the correct notes were played...although
i'm beginning to think that this is not possible as i only knowhow to hook up
a guitar in an analog(not digital) manner..therefore it could only detect
sounds & not digital impulses...

I then thought I might be able to do a similar thing but with a keyboard...
is it possible (with todays modern keyboards) to design a program which
would detect if the correct notes were played on the keyboard?

I know this post is a but rambling but if anyone has any info on whether or not this is
possible i'd really appreciate it...or if anyone has an idea if this is possible with any
other musical instrument that'd be cool too...or if some kind of MIDI hook-up is possible (PS i am completely clueless about MIDI :) )

thanks again
Philby

its very possible...even going into analog inputs would work because the soundcard converts it to digital...after all, the are PC based guitar tuners, so there must be a way for it to recognize correct pitches.....how it is done i dont even begin to have a clue.....

I dont think you are trying to design a tuner, but it seems like a similar concept.....if im totally off course of what you are trying to do, i apologize....

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/TUNERS/

pitch

thanks for taking a stab at it Gidge....they work by recognising pitch so you're right...it should be possible...the only thing is there would be no way it could recognise more than one note (eg. Chords) which is what i'm aiming for...might be possible with a keyboard though...

i could have a rethink & change the project so that you only have to play one note at a time on the guitar if i could find out how it was possible to detect the pitch...

cheers...the search goes on...if anyone has any more help i'd be over d moon...

Back