Digital Drum Suggestions

batterista

I need to get digital pronto for a new project and as I've always played acoustic, I don't know where to start...but I know what I need things to do. Any help is most appreciated.

Must Haves

- 8 pad unit to perform on. I will be doing limited pre-programming, most will be performed live. I don't care much about the physical pad layout... I don't need it to be laid out like a drum kit.

- A suite of good to great preset sounds

- Ability to import samples

- 2 foot switch trigggers (kick, hi-hat, etc.)

- Stereo out

- Ability to individually pan each trigger

Would Also Like to Have

- Looping ability. I could run the unit through a JamMan, so this feature isn't critical.

- Ability to run aux sounds from a separate full-size digital drum kit and/or triggers on an acoustic kit. I could get a separate unit when it comes time to perform this material live, but if I could kill two birds with one stone...

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
hows this...

when you say 8 pad i don't know if you mean just drums or your including cymbals. If cymals included then check out the simmons sd9k. Do not get sd7k or 5k, the pads are atrocious. You can probably find this for $1000, its a great deal for the cash, 40 preset kits, i think 900 available sounds, midi capable, trigger sensitivity adjustable, sturdy, double bass acceptable. It's served me well thus far. Run to your local gc and play one, they should have it. I am not 100 percent sure on the aux, but i think you can, it has two footswitch triggers, with the highhat having open, closed, and semi-closed functions adjustable by the pedal like an acoustic, good samples, ability to import samples, if you use midi you can pan each trigger--albeit in a roundabout way for more info check out forum and the pads feel awesome. good luck

Thanks didgijimmy. I'm actually recording a few tunes with a Simmons SDMK-4 (don't laugh!)... and that's what's convinced us to go electric. I'll post the tracks when they're done. The SDMK-4 is obviously extremely lacking on so many levels, but it did the trick for a couple of songs, and now it's time to step it up. The number of pads I need includes those dedicated to cymbals. I don't need a full electric kit, just the pad unit, like a Roland SPD-S.

o i got ya,...

I do think that simmons might be vying for a stake in the edrums market with the sd9k, everything was upgraded from the previous sets and its relle pretty impressive. good luck with ur drums, cant wait to hear the recordings.

batter,

if you have a electric drum set, go for the drumsampler's. I use ezdrummer and that is easy to use. you can even use it with the electric drums as well. look it up on the toontrack website.

Back