Digital Distribution.

Dawdeeb

Hey, I know that to get on itunes and others you have to go through a digital distributer.

You sign a non-exclusive contract that allows them to give your music to itunes.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone through this process and might suggest to me a good digital distributer, or anything I should know before going ahead with signing a non-exclusive contract with one of these digital distributers.

Thanks. Rohan

Sorry, I havent done this but I am about to, I am just responding so I can link to this thread :D

I just got my weirdo music picked up by a label, and we are also doing i-tunes, napster, music.net etc. in addition to CDs in stores. I know NOTHING about this stuff and I want to know as well. Best of Luck.

Dawdeeb said:
Hey, I know that to get on itunes and others you have to go through a digital distributer.

You sign a non-exclusive contract that allows them to give your music to itunes.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone through this process and might suggest to me a good digital distributer, or anything I should know before going ahead with signing a non-exclusive contract with one of these digital distributers.

Thanks. Rohan

You might want to check out CDBaby. They'll do it for you. I think it's like $55 ($35 setup, $20 for barcode), and they send to lots of digital distributors. I think the only thing is they want to be the exclusive digital distributor. You can sell physical copies of your CD from whereever you wish, however.

http://cdbaby.net/dd

Last edited:
mjr said:
You might want to check out CDBaby. They'll do it for you. I think it's like $55 ($35 setup, $20 for barcode), and they send to lots of digital distributors. I think the only thing is they want to be the exclusive digital distributor. You can sell physical copies of your CD from whereever you wish, however.

http://cdbaby.net/dd

Hey, yeah I know about cdbaby's digital distribution, and you can call me crazy but I'm going 100% digital sales, no cd's, I will have my music for sale from my site and then also through itunes/napster etc...

I know cd's wont exist in a few years, and I'm simply teaching my fan base about the new way to buy music.

So cd baby wont work for me because they need a cd right?

Thanks anyway.

Dawdeeb said:
Hey, yeah I know about cdbaby's digital distribution, and you can call me crazy but I'm going 100% digital sales, no cd's, I will have my music for sale from my site and then also through itunes/napster etc...

I know cd's wont exist in a few years, and I'm simply teaching my fan base about the new way to buy music.

So cd baby wont work for me because they need a cd right?

Thanks anyway.

Yes, but all they need is 1. That's so they can encode to the various formats.

Dawdeeb said:

Your crazy.

Umm, just kidding :D

its a good idea I think if you are starting out. If you sell some downloads you can always go back and burn some hard copies.

I am doing both, CDs and downloads.

Does it cose $$$ to get your song on Itunes, Napster or any of these other sites? Do they pay you or do you just give your music away on there? I will give mine away for all I care. The more promotion the better. Thank you...

Peter

Mate perhaps you're better off, in the position you're in now, just to set up a paypal account on your myspace page and have your friends buy it off there.

You could be right about CD's being dead in a few years ( :confused: ) - but regardless of what you think it is right now the world's biggest selling music medium so you might have to pay attention to it.

It can be a great boost to see 'real-life' barcodes on your cd, and you can say 'my tunes are up on itunes'. The thing is, if you get an online distribution deal and sell 12 copies on Itunes, it won't look that good. If you have, say around 600 friends on myspace the law of averages states that you'll sell around 60 cd's, probably less. Obviously this isn't true in all cases, but most of the time people are astounded by others who say they'll buy their music, but when it actually comes to handing over money, people are less enthusiastic.

And to be honest, any 'deal' where you have to pay money to the record company, isn't a deal at all. If you're good, they will come looking for you.

Back