Digital audio interface USB

syale

I have some XLR microphones that require phantom power ( 2 pairs behringer C2 ). I want to take the 4 channels and present them to a software processor on my laptop. I have been looking at Tascam US-122 and US-144 to bring in the audio through USB and also provide the required phantom power.

Here are my questions:

1. the USB port only kicks out 5V so it must be doing some DC-DC conversion in the Tascam boxes. Is this an issue?
2. Will the inputs into the software processor appear as 2 individual inputs (tracks) or are the combined in the Tascam product and presented as one?
3. If I used a Behringer mixer with 4 XLR inputs (Behringer Xenyx 1204USB) is the signal to the PC via USB presented as individual inputs (tracks) or combined by the product and all the mixing is done in the Behringer Xenyx 1204USB?

I am open to suggestions about setup but my conditions are:

1. Utilize the existing hardware I have (2 pairs Behringer C2)
2. My laptop (i7 quad core 8GB RAM)
3. Keep the price down (budget is a big thing but I do not want to compromise if I think about upgrading. I have read that a modular approach allows a little more flxibility)

Why I am I wanting to record?

Just started playing the melodeon and I want to capture my progress as accurately as I can.
Make field recordings of other players (when they approve).

1. Dont worry about voltage. Mics require 12-48volts (some are pickier than others but that's usually higher-end mics) but they only require a couple of milliamps of current so stepping up the voltage is not a problem.

Why would you want to use an interface that got 2 1/2 star rating on the link you provided?
The forum software must have placed the link there, all I did was type the name. I suppose if I had typed Tascam US-144 it would provide that link too. Clicking on the link though advertised some things where I may have compatibility issues as I am running win 7 64bit. I could also dual boot to Linux (AVLinux) and see if it picked it up there as there are some good recording packages for free available.

Thanks
Stephen

Lots of good interfaces available, look at the Steinberg UR22. Focusrite Scarlet.

I caution against the Behr Xenyx mixer - only 16 bit, noisy preamps and the A-t-D suffers from a high-pitched noise if the volume is cranked too much, something most low-end USB mixers suffer from.

Back