DigiDesgign001 Protools LE or Cubase SX DSP 2000? PLEASE HELP!!!

MusicMan25

Hello Everyone...I hope I can get some good opinions on this..I recently have been thinking about creating a home studio for myself...I have been out and about asking tons of questions around the music stores...I was thinking of going with the Digidesign 001 and ProTools LE which seems to be the industry standard..but recently on their forums there have been alot of people not to happy with the product...for reasons of tech support, no XP support, etc,...and that got me to thinking...then I saw alot of people who are really likeing Cubases SX..and I have used the Cubase platform before (although I hear its nothing like the older cubase's, but more like neundo)...so let me get to my main question...which is:

Should I go with the Digidesign001 system w/Protools LE (keeping in mind its alot older)
or
Cubase SX with a DSP2000 C-Port (you can see the C-Port here)?
(or maybe another soundcard/breakout box?)

I currently have:

-yamaha pacific 512 electric guitar w/Peavy 112 solid state amp
-fender gemini acoustic
-kurzweil sp76 keyboard
-roland jv 1010 sound module
-behringer ultragain pro preamp
-audio technica 3035 mic

Any opinions or thoughts on this are greatly appreciated..?

MM25

I apologize this got posted in two spots, but I really hoping for a lot of feedback!!!..Thanx!!!...:)

take your tiime

take your time and research the three big ones, Pro tools, Cubase, and Cakewalk. All have different pros and cons.
The 001 is a good setup for multitrack recording and gives you every thing the average person needs to do recording on the computer. It is digidesign and doesn't like to share resources with other software.
cubase is very popular with electronic musicans and people who like a lot of softsynth etc. Has its own world of ASIO and VSTI's
Cakewalk is simple to use and is very compatible with most windows software.
Whatever you buy if you are new to audio software try to get somehing that isn't just out of beta!

to me cubase Sx is the best program out right now....whats better...???
cubase Sx isn't cubase, its nuendo with cubase's mid features and graphics with a few added features...
i use nuendo in my studio everyday, but once i master everything in SX(a few hours alown) i'll stick to it..

i have logic 5(for sale) and many other programs... SX/Nuendo are easy to work with and they do everything...

the cport and sx would be a good combo.. but if you want a little better quality.. go with SX/delta 1010...i have a partner that has a protools HD in his spot, after listing to the masters.. our music sounds almost the same... but i didn't spend $36,000+ for a major protools setup.. but that 24/196 sounds crazy... the quality of it is stupid...

I use Cakewalk SONAR 2.0 XL . . . I really like it because it does mixing, midi, and sequencing and has quite a few effects and a spectral analyser in the timeworks EQ I picked it up for $400 when I bought SONAR 1.3 off of ebay for $200 and the upgraded from cakewalk for another $200 :). I got an aardvark q10 for $700 as the sound card and besides mics thats all I've really needed so far.. . oh 1.3 ghz intel winXP . . . had quite a few problems with XP but I seem to be the only one. . .

It's always been my theory tht it's best to find a company you like and then buy their best product. . . and I like Cakewalks sequencing.

Hey C-9....why would you go with the Delta 1010 over the C-Port..they seem to be very close...but very different in price (about 200 hundred dollars)...?....and would the Delta 1010 work with SX because it looks like it was built for Logic?..Thanks in advance....and yes SX is out whoever asked me that...cheers.

MM25

MusicMan25 said:
Hey C-9....why would you go with the Delta 1010 over the C-Port..they seem to be very close...but very different in price (about 200 hundred dollars)...?....and would the Delta 1010 work with SX because it looks like it was built for Logic?..Thanks in advance....and yes SX is out whoever asked me that...cheers.
MM25
the cport sounds good but it doesn't touch the delta 1010...you can get a 1010 on digibid.com around $450...its worth the money... i've compared the 1010 against the cport.. the cport sounds good but it isn't quite the 1010.
and its not built for any program... it comes with a litle version of logic, but i use it everyday with nuendo... and i have a latency of 2ms..M-audio cards work with every program out... and they have the best support...

True dat. I have a C-Port that I use with Nuendo too, and I had driver problems galore when I upgraded from Win98se to Win2k. It's finally working well now for recording audio, but my latency sucks (could be my system, but I'm not sure). Had I known I could get a Delta for 50 bucks more, I'd have done it - simply for the wider driver and software support.

Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds great, but the trip to hell getting it to work tainted my opintion of it a bit.

c9-2001 said:

the cport sounds good but it doesn't touch the delta 1010...you can get a 1010 on digibid.com around $450...its worth the money... i've compared the 1010 against the cport.. the cport sounds good but it isn't quite the 1010.
and its not built for any program... it comes with a litle version of logic, but i use it everyday with nuendo... and i have a latency of 2ms..M-audio cards work with every program out... and they have the best support...

more baseless stats....where are the files?!?!

never heard of c port? but need to point out the obvious that the 001 from digi gives more bang for the buck than any combination out there. for 800 or so you get everything you need to do a complete recording. the delta is going to cost 600 for the hardware alone and unless you are upgrading there is no comparable midi/audio program that costwise compares with the 001 package.
re cubase: some of the most bitter complaints i have ever heard are from cubase users.
btw i use cakewalk with soundscape mixtreme and in terms of compatibility,multiclient support, giga support, et al. mixtreme is always ahead of the others.

Teacher said:

more baseless stats....where are the files?!?!
the files are on dat right now... the cport sounds good, but its not the 1010.. and we all know how the pres are...
the cport has the same converters as the omni/delta 66
i have a friend that has the cport his recordings sound real good b/c he has a real nice mic... but he always says my records sound better and cleaner..

don't mean to sound like i'm jumping down ya throat...its just nice to let people come to their own conclusion instead of spoon feeding them...

Teacher said:
don't mean to sound like i'm jumping down ya throat...its just nice to let people come to their own conclusion instead of spoon feeding them...
i fully understand you.. umm, i don't have a cport anymore so i can't do any new test to let you guys hear the difference.. is there a major difference... but can you tell the difference in the recordings , yes...
the cport as i stated b4 has the same converters as the delta 66, which is right under the delta 1010...for 350-400 the cport's only competition is the omni/delta 66.. the omni's pres are much better and they have the same converters.. but the cport has more i/o's
its unbalanced too were as the delta is either.. the cport is a good system...

If you'd like I can upload something tonite (if you'll excuse the crudity of the mix thus far). I think Tom Hicks posted something a little while back too.

As I'm sure you're aware, the coloring of different engineers' (or punks' in my case) work makes it pretty difficult to compare apples to apples (i.e. Delta to C-Port), so keep a grain of salt handy.

Thanks guys...i appreciated the feedback thus far....and i think its down to cubase sx and delta 1010... now my question is this.....do you think that is a better setup than the digidesign 001....i would like to eventually do some maybe video editing also...(i.e. music videos)...so what would you think is the best route to go..?...i know PT is standard in music studios...but i just want to be sure before I start investing and then end up changing my mind later because it doesnt do what i need to do....(im not made of money ya know!..lol).....thanks in advance again guys....

MM25

Back