Digi 002 v. Mbox 2?

jcharney

I've been building up my home studio, very slowly. I acquired a Powermac G5 dedicated computer refurbished from Apple, and a Digi 001 module from eBay. This was ridiculously stupid on my part, as it wasn't compatible with the Powermac, so I sold it again. And now I'm working and slowly getting more money, intending to buy a used Digi 002 module.

But I've been drawn back to square one again by looking at the Mbox 2, which I didn't really think about earlier even though I considered it a while back...but now it seems like a solid deal. The only major difference, it seems, is the lack of 2 extra XLR ports. Because I'm going to mainly be doing electronica and whatnot, it doesn't seem like that much of a loss (as I can always track drums for rock projects elsewhere).

Plus, it comes with Reason Adapted, and since I was planning on getting the full version at some point, this seems like a good stepping stone. It's about the money, anyway...I just want to get started recording already!

Do you think it would be good to spring for the Mbox 2 or save some more up for the Digi 002? Or get an entirely different system?

yeah,
I would look at Logic. PT is geared toward recording/mixing audio. It sounds like you would get more mileage out of something with a very good midi implementation since PT is fairly limited on that front. Nobody I know writes electronica on PT (although you will probably end up in PT at some point)

Well, I do have several rock projects going on as well...I'm gonna want to be able to record audio in the future for a bunch of other things as well.

I will look into Logic, though.

Tough one, see we're kinda far into the 002's lifespan, while we aren't too far into the mbox2. If you think you can swing the cash in a year or two then I'd wait for whatever comes after the 002r and go ahead and buy the mbox2 now.

Oh, dont get me wrong, logic does audio very well also but a solid midi implementation is a very good thing to have for heavily sequenced music and although PT is getting better, its looong way from the midi features in logic. Another good (and cheaper) option is ableton live, I got a lite copy with my Remote and ever since then, it has been my permanant scratch pad. Really good workflow

Ah. Gah, there are so many products out there. I'm just gonna wait, I'm seeing mixed reviews on EVERYTHING.

This summer I am attending a two week workshop at Oberlin's Conservatory titled "Workshop in Electronic and Computer Music"...so I'll learn alot then...I can delay the purchase of anything that long! :)

MIDI implemantation in PT is better with version 7 though.

But if you're looking for stuff like score-editing, it's not there. But for just sequencing, it'll do.

I don't use the MIDI function in PT. It is horrible, a bit better in 7, but still I would rather use Reason. I do however import my audio from Reason into PT for mixing and mastering. I add guitars and vocals and such to the electronic tracks from Reason. I would suggest the Reason/PT route. It has served me well for many years now.

You might also consider MOTU Digital Performer. It's a descendent of Performer, one of the first MIDI apps on the Mac, way back in the 80s. "It also does audio." :D

Back