Digi 002 PROTOOLS, or Cool Edit???

hottsauce_21

Im workin wit a friend of mine and he owns a Digi 002 and just started gettin into Protools, I've messed wit it abit but its really confusing. I've been working wit cool edit since 03 and think its the best (my opinion) just cuz of how easy it is.

I really dont wanna get into pro tools if there's no need to, so what would pro tools do for my tracks that cool edit can't??????? I just record rap and r&b so i don't need a program to do a whole lot. Should i stick wit cool edit?

Totally your choice man especially if you are doing it just for yourself.

I say if you are comfortable with Cool Edit stick with it.

Now if somewhere along the lines you decide you want to have clients. Having protools in your arsenal will help you out especially with rappers who seem to think you can't record anything good unless you have it.

I'm using Adobe Audition ( successor to Cool Edit).

I'd need a really good reason to even consider switching to Pro Tools and haven't found one yet. I don't like the closed system approach, so even if it turned out to be a superior program I'd be wary of it.

I've been using cool edit / audition for years. Currently using Audition 2.0 and loving it.
I see no need to switch to protools.

Also keep in mind if you switch to protools there are not a lot of free plugins for it.

timboZ said:
Also keep in mind if you switch to protools there are not a lot of free plugins for it.

unless you purchase the VST wrapper.

If you're happy with Cool Edit (which it seems like you are), stick with it. If there comes a day you friend does something on his PT system and you go "Whoa! I wish I had that in Cool Edit"...then maybe you can consider going to it. But if Cool Edit has everything you like, no need to change.

I find that sending audio tracks to different busses and outputs for headphones etc... are a lot easier in Pro Tools. I also really like that the sound card and program are designed to work with each other when you go the Pro Tools route. That being said, I actually did start with Cool Edit Pro and Audition, and after a week of learning how to use Pro Tools, I would never go back to Cool Edit. I find Cool Edit is a good "tape machine" but Pro Tools is a better "Studio". Hope that makes sense.

Are you talking about using the Digi 002 with Cool Edit? To the best of my knowledge you have to use Pro Tools with Digi products, but I could be wrong.

I used Audition for years and the only reason I switched to Reaper was for MIDI.

If Audition had good MIDI/VSTi support, and also 24-bit recording, I wouldn't have switched.

Adam P said:
To the best of my knowledge you have to use Pro Tools with Digi products, but I could be wrong.

I think DigiDesign products will work on most software, but you need the hardware to use ProTools.

Well now that i started messin wit the digi 002 and pro tools im startin to like it but i was wonderin if i can download more effects 4 it? the reverbs suck

hottsauce_21 said:
Well now that i started messin wit the digi 002 and pro tools im startin to like it but i was wonderin if i can download more effects 4 it? the reverbs suck

Agreed, those reverbs are completely unusable in my opinion and I've tried.

remember that you cant go PT without hardware too.

that being said, i'd say stick with CEP. its a great app, and is highly functional. pro tools isn't too bad once you get the hang of it IMO. i love PT but it's not for everyone.

Back