DIGI 002, i need one

Thirst

Ok Im really drooling over this peice of equipment, I just want to hug it or something.. Im looking around on the net see alot of prices for 2100.00 but theres no way I want to pay that much, seen a couple of 1500 on ebay.. Im wondering where would be the cheapest I could find this for.. Now Im not talking about the Rack version, Im talking about the stand alone mixer.. Any help would be most appreciated.. thanks.. enjoy

Well thirst, you're mostly with the program. It's about $2000 new, and $1500 is about the best ebay price. If you beat that at all, either you are very lucky, or there's something wrong with it, or it's hot. Note that the system requirements are fairly brutal, check Digidesign's web site. A dual hard drive and about a gig of RAM would be very good if you plan to go that route. Also, it'll work with a PC, but everyone I know that uses one says it works better with a Mac.-Richie

The difference is, the digi 002 only has preamps on 4 of the 8 inputs. They are, however, better preamps than the Tascam unit, and I am very familiar with both of them. I also believe Digi 002 has superior plugins, superior AD conversion, is a better mixer, and unlike the Tascam unit, can be used as a standalone digital mixer. I also prefer Pro Tools to any of the software programs supported by the Tascam. It is, however, $800 cheaper.-Richie

Yea so that makes me a digi 002 fan... lol lowest price ive found is 1500.00... guess Im gonna have to wait for taxes to come back to buy that badboy... :(

have you considered the 002r

you still get the 96k firewire capabilities, and its a lot cheaper. You can usually find them new for about $1050ish

Get the 002 rack. your paying a lot of extra money for a BIG MOUSE. moving faders are cool but you get used to mouse mixing very quickly and you'll find that you will end up drawing in automation with the mouse more then using the faders. If you really want faders get the 002 rack and while your learning Pro Tools software you can be saving up for a control surface. I think the extra money would be better spent on mics. of course thats my opinion, do you is best for you.

Thought I would mention this too. I know a few people with the regular 002 and its a little bit bigger then most people expect and from What I have seen it usually does not fit comfortably on most compters desks and ends up too far away for my friends to even take advantage of the control surface. QUICK KEYS are your life line if you want to use pro tools in a proffesional environment anyways so best to start early.

i would look at lynx

if your going to spend that kind of money thirst , i would
look at lynx audio technologies. just to compare.
a lot of pro's love the lynx product.
one point to remember that everyone forgets in going high end .
MAINTENACE. a lot of stuff now uses SMT, and its not like
the old consoles of years ago where one could often fix it onesself. if it goes down , your studio is down. ive been in this situation in the past and learnt the hard way.
at least with a cheaper solution like a delta sound card you can buy a back up unit. something to think about.
i record and mix happily with no need for control surfaces.
and more smt to go wrong.

INTERFACE, PREAMPS & DIGI 002

sk8ingsnowman said:
Get the 002 rack. your paying a lot of extra money for a BIG MOUSE. moving faders are cool but you get used to mouse mixing very quickly and you'll find that you will end up drawing in automation with the mouse more then using the faders. If you really want faders get the 002 rack and while your learning Pro Tools software you can be saving up for a control surface. I think the extra money would be better spent on mics. of course thats my opinion, do you is best for you.

SORRY ... NO REALLY A REPLY BUT A QUESTION.... :confused:
I'm embarking on the Digidesign journey and have been gear lusting for months. Finally I have a few question, that may seem a bit DOH! Bear with me I am a vocalist that wants to go over to the other side of the desk.

I'm a little confused... do I NEED an external preamp or an external audio interface if I'm purchasing a Digi 002 to record from? From my limited understanding the software provide eliminates the need for externals, doesn't 002 have on board preamp and audio interface?

If I do need a preamp/interface, does the M-Audio 410 Firewire work seamlessly with the 002.

wow...you just unearthed an old post from December...try creating a new thread if you have a question

however, in response to your questions: no you don't need another preamp. the 002 has 4 built in pres and the 002 IS the audio interface. so that's all you need to connect to your computer and get started. :cool:

Yo CG! See above- I already answered your question. 4 CHANNELS WITH PREAMPS. 4 CHANNELS NO PREAMPS. No, you don't need a preamp to use it, but you will probably eventually want outboard pres to use it to it's best advantage. By using optical S/PDIF you can feed it more signals, there's a lot of possible expansion there. As far as the Focusrite preamps in the 002, they're good preamps. Not great ones, but good ones. In the beginning, you can use those 4 pres, then add a clean dual channel preamp first, then a more colored one, to use the other 4 channels, at least that's what I did. Then the focusrite pres become mostly additional drum channels.-Richie

I'd also like to point out that the 1884 CAN be used as a standalone mixer and the preamps in them are excellent ......

:)

Richard Monroe said:
As far as the Focusrite preamps in the 002, they're good preamps. Not great ones, but good ones. In the beginning, you can use those 4 pres, then add a clean dual channel preamp first, then a more colored one, to use the other 4 channels, at least that's what I did. Then the focusrite pres become mostly additional drum channels.-Richie

Actually, they aren't Focusrite....only the Mbox has those. I'm not sure who made the Digi002 pres but they do not sound as good as the Mbox.

Back