digi-001

matt_barlow

If I were to get the digi-001 sound card would I have to get any more pre-amps to be able to mic a drumset w/ 8 mics or do all 8 inputs have mic pre-amps. I am thinking about getting one. Anyone have any experience w/ them? Things you like or dislike. Thanks in advance, Matt

Only Analog inputs 1 and 2 have pres, the rest are line inputs.
What I did was I bought a Yamaha MX 12/6 mixer, it has 8 pres and 6 (actually more) possible discrete routings.
Cheers, Andrés

I love my Digi 001.

I'm not sure you can buy *just* the breakout box.. I think it comes bundled with Pro Tools LE Etc...

There are only 2 channels with Pre's, so you will need a little mixer or something to track a drum kit.... Unless you do the drums seperate or track them with only 2 mic's...

I did the Vocals and Acoustic guitar (in the chorus) with the Digi Pre's, in my song "Your Life Story"..

What better way is there to endorse something, than to give a audio "proof".. :)

www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/voxvendor/singles

Joe

Thanks, Would you have any suggestions for a cheap $150 mixer that could take care for the other 6 channels.Thanks again, Matt

Don't know Matt. The MX 12/6 is the cheapest I found but I am in Argentina so I don't have many choices I found it new for $350.
I don't know if you can buy 6 pres for that many, and 6 different routings.

Anybody knows something better? Cheers, Andrés

May I suggest an alternative solution?

Get a Fostex VF-160 or VF-16 digital multitrack recorder and soundcard with ADAT interface. Then you can connect VF to computer by plugging in two adat cables and use the VF-16(0) as analog front end to send signals from analog sound sources connected to VF's mic preamps directly to software running on computer 8 tracks at a time. VF functions also as digital mixer so you can mix the 8 audio tracks coming in thru ADAT lightpipe with external sound sources connected to the analog inputs of VF. There's total of 8 mic preamps on VF and 2 of them offer xlr-jacks with phantom power. The really clever thing with this setup is that you don't have to haul your computer to recording locations because you can take just the VF with you and when you get back after recording session you can transfer the new tracks to your computer for mixdown very easily.

Back