Digi 001 users, I need your system info

elevate

I'm building a PC for a friend who will be using the Digi 001. According to Digidesign's website, the only Athlon solutions that are compatible are ones based on the VIA KT133A chipset. I was wondering if any of ya'll are running the Digi with any other "unsupported" chips. I really would rather not use VIA or SDRAM or a 133Mhz bus if at all possible.

Thanks

Elevate,

Here is what I have in the Athlon I built...

Athlon XP 1800+
512 mb DDR
Gigabyte gaDX-7 motherboard
matrox g450
maxtor 7200 rpm 40gb boot drive
Adaptec 2940 SCSI card
Seagate 73gb Cheetah drive
Yamaha cd-burner(cannot remember the model #)
3.5" floppy
Pinnacle Firewire card

THink that's it. Works like a dream.

Good luck,
C

Don't do it man... Keep those Via chips out of there....

I guarantee you, your buddy will be here in not too long, asking why his system is all screwed up......

Follow requirements to the "T" and address ALL incompatability issues..

Joe

001 User and Lover.

the gigabyte ga7dx is one of the most stable and powerful motherboards for the 001. (amd 751 chipset). "Check out the PT Performanceits on the second page. The ga7dx does very very well.

the gigabyte ga7dx is one of the most stable and powerful motherboards for the 001

I've done quite a bit a bit of research, and it seems like the ga-7dx, and the RAID variant, are the safest bets when it comes to Athlon motherboards - I was just uncertain because of Digidesign's brief compatibility list on their site.

Don't do it man... Keep those Via chips out of there....
Follow requirements to the "T" and address ALL incompatability issues..

Are you saying follow Digidesign's recommendations, or not? Oh, and you're a bastard for not listing Danny Carey as one of your top 90's drummers candidates. ;)....ooh...did I say that? Sorry, I'm a bit...intoxicated.
Anyway, thanks guys, and I apologize for my ndrunken state...I'm not sure if I'm spelling anything right or not....guess I'll have to read this in the morrning.

What im saying is, FOLLOW the requiremnts.... and heed all incompatability warnings...

If you try and scrimp on this, your buddy will run into trouble...

Thanks for the back up Clark :D

The mac suggestion scares me a bit... My PC is foolproof and about 1/2 the price of a mac... I followed requirements to the "T" and I have NEVER had a problem with my PC..

(Knock on wood) :D

Well, it was ALMOST tongue in cheek.

I use them both and they are both really stable. I bought a used MAc so that kept the price down considerably. Will I upgrade to a newer Mac eventually? Possibly. but this athlon is great for now.

fingers crossed and toes too.

Later,
C

What im saying is, FOLLOW the requiremnts.... and heed all incompatability warnings...
Keep those Via chips out of there

You realize that Digidesign only recommends VIA motherboards (which means Clark's mobo is also "incompatible")? Anyway, what motherboard are you running?

The Mac thing won't happen. My friend wants to do this for around $700 (already have hard drives, video card, and case) which would probably get him Beige G3 - kinda anemic next to an XP 1700.

$700 should do it pretty easily. Especially if he already has some components.

the "word" over at the DUC is that the gigabyte mobo is the bomb. That is why I went with it. The downside being...some heat issues. I have not encountered that as yet.

I'd recommend following the DUC (well, the smart people on the DUC) over the compatablitiy guides. For some things. Other than the motherboard, I'd recomend following their guidlines pretty strictly.

Just for kicks, I did install the 001 on my Athlon 1700 with the Soyo dragon board. It worked, but not nearly as stable. Not even close. I would get maybe a half hour of stability than it would ock up with no error code at all. Frustrating.

Let the guys at the DUC guide you. Many of them have alot of insight, and essentially, have done the testing of hardware for you.

That's wierd. The Dragon is supposed to a be a great board, and has all VIA, which Digidesign recommends. Oh well. I think I'm pretty much settled on the Giga GA-7DX+, but I'm gonna check out the DUC first.

Thanks guys.

Pasted right from the Digi site....
-------------------------------------------

Known Incompatibilities
Caution - Digi 001 is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

Hewlett Packard Pavillion line of computers

AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers

Original Pentium processor based computers (Pentium I)

Computers with motherboards containing mixed chipsets from AMD plus VIA combined

"ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive" Sound, video and game controller. This device can be disabled from the "Device Manager" in the "System" Control Panel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to say that Via Chips are not supported, whether they are with an athlon board im not sure.. I didn't have much time to read into it...

Joe

On something not much related to the topic here but that guy I talk to online who recently got Pro Tools and had trouble getting it working on his HP Pavilion finally got it working. He said the idiots at whatever place he bought it at gave him the Mac disk rather than the PC disk. Of course I'm assuming he still put it on the Pavillion and not another computer. And I later learned that he got Digi setup. I still say he wasted his cash though. He upgraded to the Digi from using a 4 track which I don't think he ever learned how to use since he kept constantly asking me question after question after question on it. Even on the really simple stuff. He eventually said he quit with the 4 track just b/c he thought the quality was crappy, didn't like using tapes, etc which is why he moved up to digital. I can sort of understand how he feels but I've been very pleased with the things I've recorded on a 4 track and feel that the quality was good. I know another guy who picked up a 4 track for his demos and he and I were both surprised on how good it sounded. I know 4 track is not the best quality but I think you can get some good sounding stuff out of it assuming you can mix and record very well. Oh well, kind of reminds me of those kids who have to have the latest greatest most expensive thing out there just b/c they think it'll make em sound better.

It seems to say that Via Chips are not supported
I think it means that mixing AMD and VIA chipsets is not supported. From Digi's compatibility list:
AMD Athlon Thunderbird with pure VIA KT133A chipset, Single Processor
So, I take that to mean that VIA northbridge and southbridge are preferable to VIA southbridge and AMD northbridge, like the Gigabyte boards mentioned.

Ok, thats cool

I just want to make sure it's gonna work for you...

If thats what it says.. then your ok..

Joe

The second release of the VIA Athlon chipset is supported. There were issues with the first release, which created CPU timing issues and would not work at all. As far as I have gleaned, the only problem with the Athlon system now is heat, you need to get a good fan in there.

Check out this post, a pretty comprehensive post on the parts to buy to get a PC for under 900$ that will run Digi001 flawlessly. For another hundred bucks you could probably get this system built by a small PC maker.

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=32&t=004858

Back