Digi 001, SeaSound, MOTU's 2408mkII

faithmonster

Gentlemen and ladies,

After much patience, whining and begging the wife for
beer money that I have wisely hoarded, I have completed my
computer!

I've been looking at package units, "all-in-one" product
like the Digi 001, SeaSound's new entry and MOTU's 2408mkII
units. If anyone has an opinion, advice or experience with these and other products, here's your opportunity to speak
out. I want to know.

Thanks!
Faithmonster

Just my two cents. I just sold my Dig 001 system and bought the MOTU 2408 mk II and I'm much happier. No track limitations and more gozinta's and gozouta's.

Aardvark has a new product, the DirectPro Q32, that's a rack mount with eight of those univeral inputs with mic preamps like the DirectPro has, and converters in the external one-rack-space box, and DSP like the DirectPro... lists for $899. Slated to ship in 1st Q 2001, if you can wait... Meanwhile the original DirectPro 24/96 has a lower list price, $499

http://www.aardvark-pro.com/direct_pro_main.html

Thanks everyone!

AlChuck and ET- I'll check out Aardvark- they are one
I'd missed somehow- thanks for the link!

Track Rat, did MOTU's 2408mkII "drop in" to your computer
easily? the one I built was to Digi001 specs for PC/win98
configurations... and what did you have to change in your
computer if you had to?

Mine is a midtower, 350W power supply with SE440BX2 mobo/
PIII 850mHz processor, 512MB SDRAM, Ultra ATA-66 controller
with one 15GB 7200RPM primary and 30GB 7200RPM secondary
hard drives, 1.44MB floppy, 48X CDROM IDE/ Plextor CD-RW
8/4/32 Atapi, ATI Rage Fury 32MB AGP video, Win98 second
edition, FAT32. At one point I thought about SCSI or RAID
0 for the drives, but I think what I have will be OK for me.

Thanks once again!
Faithmonster

When I had the Digi 001, it was in a Mac G4 and I sold the whole kit. The Motu is in a P III 700 MHz coppermine, UDMA 100 with a 45 Gig, 7200 RPM drive, 256 Megs of Ram (which will be 512 soon). The installation was no problem and the learning curve was very small. I have two ADATs and I can transfer all 16 tracks into the computer (20 bits, 48 KHz) simultaniously with no hic-ups. VERY cool.
Oh, and one more thing. I started with Millenium which was a crashing piece of shit so I re-installed '98 s.e., and all problems disappeared.

Bit of a fan of the Digi001 myself and Pro Tools LE is fabulous as a recording environment. Also runs great with Logic if you want to use VST/DX plugs etc.

Seasound is a nice box, inserts on the inputs and real instrument preamps. Its only stereo in/out though - but enough for most people.

2408 is cool if you have a mixer or other digital equipment.

Can't really go wrong with any of them - good choices.

All the best
Robin
http://www.pc-music.com

Back