Digi 001 Error Message: 6002

Elisa

I installed the Digi 001 on a custom built PC. I got as far as listening to the demo song. The next time I turned on my PC I received the following error message: "Digidesign Digi-001: Chan 1-2, Error 6002: Can't Initialize Direct IO"

What does this mean? I've e-mailed Digidesign, but haven't received a response. I can't call them during normal business hours because I'm at work. Can anyone help?

I receive the error message before my PC completely turns itself on and freezes as soon as I recieve the error message. I can't access any Windows applications. I'm left with no alternative but to re-boot (Ctr-Alt-Del). I've disconnected all the Digidesign hardware (except the soundcard) and I still receive the error message.

My PC set-up consists of the following:

Pentium III Computer System
933 MHZ (133 BUS)
Intel Motherboard (815 Chipset Motherboard)
256 MB of RAM
46 GB IBM Hard Drive
8 MG Video Card (3D AGP chipset)
Windows 98 SE

I'm new to PC recording and not very PC literate. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what is going on.

Thanks (in advance) for all your help

Sincerly,
Elisa

I cant quite remember as its been a month or so since i last used a Digi001 but i think its down to the wave drivers. Try going into safe mode and removing the Digiwave drivers (i think you'll find them under multimedia-audio). When the pc reboots it'll ask for the disk again - reinstall them and then disable them in multimedia-audio. This should stop it happening. You get the same problem if you try to run the Digi001 with Logic but with the wave drivers disabled it works fine. Pro Tools doesnt need the drivers either, its simply for windows sounds and the drivers are a bit rubbish. At least it might give you the chance to see if you can find whats causing the problem. The Digi001 should not be sharing with anything! You'll also find some good pointers on the Digidesign forum.

I hope this helps, but as i say i cant quite remember...... :)

Robin
http://www.pc-music.com

Thanks Robin,

For a Newbie you sure know a lot more than the Recording Genius above. Just in case anyone else has this same problem below is the response I received from Digidesign:

-This issue has been addressed with the 1.6cs5 Wave Driver available on our website at:
http://www.digidesign.com/download/wavdrv.html

-Instead of updating the driver, I would suggest removing the previous version of the Wave Driver before proceeding with the install of Wave Driver 1.6cs5:
(1)-Open the Control Panels>System>Device Manager window, expand the Sound Video and Game Controllers list, highlight the Digi001 device and click "Remove"
(2)-Open My Computer and go to View>Folder Options>View Tab and select "Show All Folders"
(3)-Start>Find>Files or Folders for the file Digidesigndalwdm.inf. Place this file in the Recycle Bin, empty the bin and restart Windows. This will force Windows to detect the hardware and run the Hardware Setup Wizard.
(4)-Follow the directions on Page 19 of the Digi001 Quick Start Guide.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support

Back