Digi 001 converters...

Ham Slam

I am interested in buying the wami rack 2496. It looks like it provides "pro" quality audio, is this true? I noticed the converter chips are pretty good. They claim 120db snr, this is comparable to the Lucid stuff, isnt it? I read they have A/D Crystal CS5396 and D/A AKM AK4393VF. Im trying to decide what to get. I dont want the delta 10/10, and why get the digi 001 when you have to put an external converter to make it "pro sound". Is this true or does the Digi001 have pretty good sound quality? I would like personal opinions of you "pros" here. My buget is about $1,500 and all I need is a pro card and some wave plug-ins. By the way I currently have sonar (I got it free) and a pc.

thanks, Ham

Just wanted to say thanks for replying to my post. Sorry cant help you with your gear, I never really heard any of it.

sondriven

If you are meaning "pro" as in commercial studio quality, Lucid converters are what you want.....

thanks for the reply...

So lucid is the nats ass...are they that much better than the wami racks? Also, if Im going to use the lucid converters then I could go ahead and use a simple card can with digital inputs right?

Now I have to ask if you plan on recording a CD for the commercial market....if not, Ill tell you that Ive heard awesome things recorded on the Digi001, the WamiRack, and the Delta1010....of course, usually what separates the great stuff recorded on this equipment and the trash recorded on the same is the quality of the mics, preamps, instruments, cables, etc.....dont underestimate the importance of that aspect.....

yes, I would like a cd on the commercial market. I am happy with my equipment (instrument, effects boxes etc..). I am just missing the sound card and plug ins. I am very serious about my project and if I have to wait another year or two for learning experience and getting expensive recording equipment, I will. Have you eard of pissing razors or At the drive in. Both came from my town, and I know kinda how they did their stuff (hey, its a small town, people talk), now mastering well... anyway what do you think???

Ham

Im thinking you will want dedicated converters....Lucid....and youll want to search the BBS to find info on the importance of converters and clocks to digital audio....all this is over my head, but sjoko2 has alot to say on these subjects.....

what type of music and instruments are you recording?....solo or with a band?....how many different sources will you be recording at once?....what instruments/mics/preamps/etc. do you have already?....what are the specs of your computer?....

with this info, I may be able to give you a ball park figure of what you can expect.....

ok, lets see, I plan on buying a P3 850 with 256 MB ram, 20 gig hard drive for $400 bucks, If they still have it. I play rock music like Tool or soundgarden. I plan on using my DR770 drum machine, and midi, after I lay down the drum trake I will do one instrument at a time... fender strat with two digidesign effects boards, Rouge bass also with digidesign stuff, sm 57 mic with a antares mic modeler with a mid range joe meek pre amp and compressor. So I plan on doing all instruments one at a time, once in the computer, I will add a few plug-ins set the levels, mix to a single wav. file. So obviously, I dont need alot of inputs and outputs, once tracks are in the computer, I wont use an external effect box. I hope this helps...

Ham

i know the pro tools deal is best, but here is what Im thinking. isnt pro tools really about processing power (plug-ins and track count), the converters are a whole other deal. I dont plan on using alot of plug-ins or recording more than one track at a time. even when Im finished I shouldnt have more than 15 tracks (I' ve playing aroung with N tracks, so I know this). So i get the Lucid converters, I think we agree on that, now where do I go?

Ham

OK, check this out

I was talking to Lewis at Iqsoft about SAW, seems like over kill to me. So, I feel that Sonar will do a pro job (I can go into detail about why I feel this way now). OK, then I get the 2 channel lucid converter a/d, go into a rme digi96 pst or lynx one (opinions on either???), then once in the computer use waves gold bundle...Hows that so far? Plus, about monitoring, use headpones or ps6 by event? Im also looking for a tape saturation plug-in.

Ham

I'm sorry but I've never heard of a wami2496.
I know you asked me to comment on it, but I simply cannot make any comment on any converter product unless I have actually tried it myself. The reason? I could design a converter for you which tests great, and sounds like total puke (there are plenty of them about!

From you posts thusfar, the Lucid into an RME seems like the best option regarding quality vs $$.

If you want a good price on a Lucid send me another email

Back