Different when played back?

ollie44

Hi guys, I've just started recording some guitar using a saffire 6 interface and the guitar amp pro in logic, and some of the sounds are quite nice. The problem is, they sound totally different when I record them and play them back. For example - it sounds more bassy and muffled compared to when I was playing it in.

Any help? Thanks :)

Are you actually monitoring the track as it records, or the direct input? My guess is the direct input, and guitar amp pro is set for a muffled bassy sound!

I find that instruments nearly always sound 'different' on playback than while they're being recorded. This could be for a variety of reasons. For instance, when I record drummers my ears are close to the cymbals so they always sound like they're trying to blast my eardrum. But when I listen to the playback, I'm amazed at how sedate they seem, not at all like how they sounded while being recorded. Same with guitar. It nearly always sounds better while playing.

I don't know if you've solved this or not, but I'll put in my two cents.

If you've check all the cables and settings and everything, part of it might be psychological. During the moment of performance when I'm "into" it there's an emotional investment. This is not present later when monitoring. I find the same thing with my voice.

The question then is, when does it sound real? I would say it sounds real when you hear it back, neutrally. And that's the sound you need to be most concerned about, because that's the sound everyone else is going to hear.

Are you actually monitoring the track as it records, or the direct input? My guess is the direct input, and guitar amp pro is set for a muffled bassy sound!

This was the very first thing that came to my mind!

I reckon that it's vital to understand how your gear works before starting any recording in ernest.

Take some time and have some fun getting to know your gear, It'll be well worth it in the end.

Back