Differences between a few headphones

riotshield

Hi,

I'm trying to find a decent pair of headphones as cheaply as possible. Right now I'm using a few AKG and Sennheiser sets that all cost <$30, but I find them sounding very different from listening on a Roland MA-8 or stereo (plus they get uncomfortable). So far I see recommendations for the Sony MDR-7506 and AKG K240S ($100 ea.). But some reviews say the Sony MDR-V6 ($60-70) has the same specs as the 7506, and a lot of people (albeit those who buy for music only) recommend the Grado SR-60 ($70) over either $100 sets. Is there some advantage to the 7506/K240S that would justify the price difference for mixing/monitoring? Thanks :)

the akgs 240s have an ultra wide stero spread 3 db seperation
so you can hear the placemnet of the mix better and all the dead spots in between, but here is an important point it dosent matter the phones you have it mattters how well you know your phones.
You have to tune your ears to them anyway just get some phones with a higher then 20 k responce so you hear things clearly and low enough that you can hear the kick an bass and adjust your ears the rest of the way to what ever set you buy
the good thing about both akgs an senheizers are they been around forever so more then likely you will have an accurate refrence for 10 to 20 years down the road so you dont have to guess what something should sound like thats the main advantage

Yo Preventor of Riots:

Beyer 250's -- around 100 - 130 pezzutos. Comfortable, accurate, and quality.

I have several pair of cans but use the 250's when working.

Green Hornet:D :cool: :p

I'm having three headphones:

- Sennheiser HD 497 ($50 or so)
- Sennheiser HD 530II (not in pruduction anymore; $130 or so)
- Sony MDR V600 ($100)

compared to the HD 530II, the Sony -- which is advertised as a "studio headphone" -- is a real waste of money! Its lacking the low ends and its not nearly as accurate as the HD 530II, which is more than 10 years old. The HD 497, on the other hand, gives GREAT sound quality for the price, and is very comfortable to wear, too.

I would recommend either closed (!) Sennheiser or Beyer and get the most expensive you can afford. If you spend like $130 instead of $100 you will clearly hear the difference, you'll be happy for many years to come, and what's 30 buxx if you use them for years and are happy with them.

Back