difference

draynes

What is the main difference in the Sm 57 and Sm 58? If you could only have one which one would it be and why?

No, I am not trying to make a joke. The main concern was the hz difference and which would better overall, to just have one. By the way they are not the same. The hz are different, the sm 58 Has a hz range of 50Hz-15kHz primarly used for vocal, and the Sm 57 has 40Hz-15kHz for Instruments. But never mind the difference is just the wind screen. But I have answered my own question, now haven't I.

Actually, the answer really is the ball. The bodies are the same and its the exact same capsule. There are enough different reflections that happen inside each of the different grills to cause the sound differences. This has been discussed here and other forums ad nausium.

If you're asking which one to get, it depends. You could get a 58 and just remove the ball when you want a 57 sound (albeit dangerous in some situations) or you could just get a 57, which sounds good on most things.

Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd get the 57. It is more versatile.

Blue Bear Sound said:
*sigh* This topic is almost as bad as the "best mic for $100" threads......

Um... Well, which one is the best mic for under $100?

Sorry, Bruce. Couldn't help myself. I think I'm caught up in a wiseass phase. Kind of like a mid life subcrisis thing. It'll pass, probably when I kick off. I hope someone remembers to put "Professional Wiseass" on my headstone if I don't get around to it in timely fashion.

:D

Dude!...I was so wanting to do that but you beat me to it! :D I guess I'll just go put my headphones on and keep mixing :eek:

Back