Difference between krk g2's and vxt's?

brownbearTLE

Hi everyone,

The only store around carrying these is guitar center, and every time i am in there the tech won't set up an a/b comparison..

i know from reading everywhere online there are huge differences between these two monitors but i want some opinions from you guys :)

I'm looking at the v8 g2's, and the vxt 6's. And i've had some experience with the g2's (the studio i recorded at had these)

So can i get the subtle differences? like stereo image, mid range detail, high end, and lowend? also which one transfers better?

the KRK 8" G2's are 45 HZ-20 KHZ +/- 1.5 db, They're pretty flat so your mixes should translate very well if your room is properly treated. The VXT 8's are 40HZ-22KHZ +/-1.5 db so those are about the same as the G2's they just have a little more frequency response.

KRK has a Rokit 10 coming out that has a separate midrange driver, I'm not sure if it's out yet but here's the info: ROKIT RP10-3 Studio Monitors Speaker KRK SYSTEMS

I have the Rokit 5's and I've been pretty happy with them, I'll probably upgrade to larger one's in the future but my mixes translate well with these.

I had the Rokit 5's and bumped up to the Rokit 6's - The VXT's are quite a bit more expensive - I think they use some slightly different components.

I never A/B them but the G2 Rokit 6's sound awesome and they have come down to a very affordable level - they give a little more low end than the 5's and I am real happy with them

those RP-10's look pretty sweet but at $499 each or $1000 a pair - I will stick with RP 6's

- If the tech at GC doesn't want to hook them up for a comparison - try the sales manager - I am sure he would be more than happy to... WTF do they have them there for if you can't compare them - ask the salaes manager or the store manager - they will be hooking that shit up faster than you can say "cash or credit" :)

I have the G2 RP8s, they need pushed to get the best representation and took quite a bit for me to settle in with them but now I barely think of the mix, what used to take 20 attempts to get a mix that translated on other systems takes four or five attempts now..If room size is small Id maybe look at the 6's...I havent tried the 5's but my old monitors were 5" woofers and the bass was always a problem, couldve been my lack of experience or their lack of low frequency, or both

Some can have a slight noise/hum problem, its not enough to be distracting but it is there and well noted in the internet world :)

Id recommend them, Id say listen to them before purchase but it takes time for any monitor to bed in anyway, or at least with my ears it does

I never A/B them but the G2 Rokit 6's sound awesome and they have come down to a very affordable level - they give a little more low end than the 5's and I am real happy with them

Yep, I've got a pair of the 6's too and they get the job done! No complaints here.

- If the tech at GC doesn't want to hook them up for a comparison - try the sales manager - I am sure he would be more than happy to... WTF do they have them there for if you can't compare them - ask the salaes manager or the store manager - they will be hooking that shit up faster than you can say "cash or credit" :)

I agree. That must be one lazy and/or stupid tech! When you can't get want you want from a company, always take it to the next level! ;)

I started having the hum problem in one of my rockit 5's. Was about to get all worried until I was tidying up and noticed when I was done that the other one started doing it and the original one stopped. I replaced the rca cables and they are quiet as can be now.

Hi everyone,

The only store around carrying these is guitar center, and every time i am in there the tech won't set up an a/b comparison..
go over his head ...... talk to a manager and tell them the tech won't help you.
G.C. is pretty sales driven ........ I'm positive it would take a very short amount of time for me to get that set-up. You're possibly not being pushy enough about it and this is a comparison you NEED to actually make.

Thanks everyone for replying

You're possibly not being pushy enough about it and this is a comparison you NEED to actually make
I'm going in there swinging next time haha

This is a little off topic but what sub would you recommend?

I wouldn't recommend a sub personally. I would try to find a set of monitors that provide enough bass in themselves. But I record angry white boy music where sub-bass is a no no.

I have the KRK "Rokit" 8's, G2...All I can say is they've been wonderful monitors for me. I've had them for about a year and I got a crazy good deal on them ($300 for the pair, new)...but they are well worth twice that in my book.

Don't know about the other, but I agree with Lt...getting that set up should not be that difficult. But I also think it's probably pointless. You're going to be hard-pressed to make any meaningful distinctions in a store with 19 dudes wanking guitar solos. Personally, if I did an A/B comparison for monitors, I'd likely end up leaving with the most ultra-hyped, "sweet" sounding speakers in the store...

I'm a fan of the KRK's.

Yeah - If i remember the VXT's are significantly more expensive then the Rokit's (like over twice the price) and I don't think the sound quality could be twice as good - maybe - I never listed to them :) but I would think unless you are in a pro studio there isn't any reason to go to the VXT line.

The Rokits have two different wattage ratings for the woofer and tweeter - but I am not sure if it is actually bi-amp'd - the VXT's specifically say they are bi-amped - but I don't have enough technical knowledge of amps to understand if you could have a single amp with split wattage... someone here does maybe they can answer - there is a weight difference so there may be another amp in the VXT's - the VXT's also have a slightly larger frequency response and higher wattage rating.

Oh and they have Kevlar woofers! anyway... I asked this same question like 9 months ago and I don't think I ever got a response from anyone that actually A/B'd the two - or even had any good info about the difference... KRK makes a monitor and they are quite popular so I think you will be happy either way (but probably happier with more money in your pocket with Rokits)

- the G2 Rokit 6's I have deliver serious bass - but I also write angry white boy music so...
If you are doing Rap or Hip-hop or House you might want a sub. But kcearl does electronic and if he is fine with the 8's your probably good too.

BTW - If you do go and compare them at GC - please take some notes and come back here and post the results - cause I would really like to know if there are any stark differences in case I ever run across a pair cheap and I want to pick them up :)...

and not to make things more complicated but have you looked at the new 10's with midrange?
ROKIT RP10-3 Studio Monitors Speaker KRK SYSTEMS

:)

Here are the threads I posted a year ago - you can see the overwhelming response I got:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...ipment-reviews/krk-rokit-5-vs-vxt-6-a-308742/

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ues/krk-rokit-vs-vxt-whats-difference-308985/

Last edited:
the VXT's specifically say they are bi-amped - but I don't have enough technical knowledge of amps to understand if you could have a single amp with split wattage

For the vxt 6's the tweeter is 30 watts and the woofer is 60 watts
I think i read that the g2's are split..

and i'll glady post some notes if i ever get to a/b them! if not i'll ask if i can set a down payment on each at separate times, take them home and mix on them to get a real feel of each.

And for the sub, i'm doing mostly metal and indie so thinking over this, i really wouldn't need it with the krks

The G2 Rokit's tweeter is 18 I think and the woofer is 50 - These are the monitors I use - they are plenty (I used to have the 5's but got a steal on the 6's so I bought them and sold the 5's for what I paid for them within like 2 days on cl)

Back