Did this old saying come from guitar builders?

jimistone

long standing member
The phrase:
"it's down to the nut cuttin' now"

I believe it must have come from a guitar builder...

Never heard of it...

It's a pretty common expression in the southeastern US.
It's synonymous with "down to the nitty gritty" or " this is where the rubber meets the road" or"now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel" or " it's all downhill from here"

It's used to decribe being almost through with a difficult job and getting near the point you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor

What It's Like on the Inside: Down to the Nut Cuttin' Time
28 March 2005
Down to the Nut Cuttin' Time
Having grown up in West Texas, I often heard the phrase, "It's gettin' down to the nut cuttin' time." This came from the cattle industry. And at particular times of the year when the calves were starting to grow up, decisions had to be made about which were to become steers, and which would be left a bull. The euphemism referred to any situation where it was time to make some hard decisions.

nut-cutting time - Wiktionary
English
Noun
nut-cutting time (plural nut-cutting times)
Time to gather nuts before they are taken by other animals or buried in snow.  [quotations ▼]
(idiomatic) Time to exert maximum effort, for example, due to an approaching deadline or a looming competitive situation.
Usage notes
The association of the word nuts with testicles may limit the use of this idiom in formal settings, whatever the source of the term.
See also
castration

Re: Nut cutting time
Posted by Henry on February 27, 2004
In Reply to: Nut cutting time posted by Bill Davis on February 26, 2004
: What is the origin of the phrase "nut-cutting time?" I have seen "cut to the nut" as well.
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe Chapter 3
"I tell you, I'm in the box!"
"--bid 801/2--"
"--buy'em at 6-plus--"
"--pick up 21/2 basis points--"
"Forget it! It's nut-cutting time!"
It seems to mean the harvest time when you reap your rewards.
But let's cut to the nut of the matter;
This seems to be a different usage. The nut is the heart of the matter cf the kernel of truth.

Jimi you're a true romantic hoping that it'd be realted to the luthier's craft. I don't know of any phrases from such a similarly small professional artisan core taht has currency for that matter.
Oh, I found those definitions, and isn't it interesting how they don't agree on much, in 2 mins with a search engine.

What It's Like on the Inside: Down to the Nut Cuttin' Time
28 March 2005
Down to the Nut Cuttin' Time
Having grown up in West Texas, I often heard the phrase, "It's gettin' down to the nut cuttin' time." This came from the cattle industry. And at particular times of the year when the calves were starting to grow up, decisions had to be made about which were to become steers, and which would be left a bull. The euphemism referred to any situation where it was time to make some hard decisions.

nut-cutting time - Wiktionary
English
Noun
nut-cutting time (plural nut-cutting times)
Time to gather nuts before they are taken by other animals or buried in snow.  [quotations ▼]
(idiomatic) Time to exert maximum effort, for example, due to an approaching deadline or a looming competitive situation.
Usage notes
The association of the word nuts with testicles may limit the use of this idiom in formal settings, whatever the source of the term.
See also
castration

Posted by Henry on February 27, 2004
In Reply to: Nut cutting time posted by Bill Davis on February 26, 2004
: What is the origin of the phrase "nut-cutting time?" I have seen "cut to the nut" as well.
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe Chapter 3
"I tell you, I'm in the box!"
"--bid 801/2--"
"--buy'em at 6-plus--"
"--pick up 21/2 basis points--"
"Forget it! It's nut-cutting time!"
It seems to mean the harvest time when you reap your rewards.
But let's cut to the nut of the matter;
This seems to be a different usage. The nut is the heart of the matter cf the kernel of truth.

Jimi you're a true romantic hoping that it'd be realted to the luthier's craft. I don't know of any phrases from such a similarly small professional artisan core taht has currency for that matter.
Oh, I found those definitions, and isn't it interesting how they don't agree on much, in 2 mins with a search engine.

Well, I have an alder Tele body, an all parts neck. A bridge, string ferrals, tuners, and a pickguard.
I ordered a bone nut and when it arrives its down to the nut cuttin'

Back