did i rip this song off? critique away....

Alaking

i recorded this song the other day. i know its a very basic and common cord progression... but i also feel like i stole the melody from somewhere... not sure where though..

if you could tell me where, i would be happy, cause its bugging me

please critique away, although this was by no means an attempt to make a "good song/recording" on my behalf. (actually, it was my first time recording on my computer )

please tell me what you think

http://www.nowhereradio.com/johnsmith/singles

Nice tune man. Not a bad first computer recording. Sounds like the vox levels are generally good to me, but at times seems like you may have fluctuated the space between you (I assume) and the mic. IOW the vox seem to fall back sometimes. Other than that I liked it. Cool vibe. Girlfriend was listening too. She liked it as well.

It's a common progression but it didnt sound like you were ripping off anything to obvious.

It's got a cool vibe to it.

I can tell what you ripped instantly. The first chord sequence is exactly the same as in Pink Floyd's Fat Old Sun, but yours is much faster. The singing even sounds like Gilmour. Not bad, still. The singing is a bit distant, you should make it more upfront. Nice one, but not too original. I like the acoustic guitar. It's so soothing.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Anyone think that im over killing the vox with reverb?
(m not going to be bothered to change them either way... im to damn lazy)

Cranky One - i have never heard this song before (old fat sun), but ive downloaded (and enjoyed it), and yes, i do hear the similar chords.... but seeing as ive never heard it before, i guess i can cross that one off the list of: what i possibly ripped off...

Yeah, not bad, since you've never heard the song :)

I had the same problem, when a part of my song reminded me of a Dream Theater song. The thing is, that I haven't even heard a song from Dream Theater when I did the song.

cool tune.. It is a familiar progression I guess, but so are a lot of songs..... I wouldnt worry about it..:cool:

Back