Did I Make a Mistake?

Macpb

Hey folks..
Well, I know it's a little late to be asking this, but I'm going to anyway. I headed over to Sam Ash and told the guy I'm new to recording, "what do I need?"

So, he directed me towards a Tacsom USB based analog to digi converter, which I bought. (The 122, or 112 version)

Then, when it came to mics, I wasn't so sure. He talked me into a Samson C01 Large Diaphram Mic, for vocals and guitar. It was 70 bucks, and seemed like a nice deal. I asked him maybe 5 times is the SM57 wasn't better, since I play a great deal of other instruments, but he said no, since it wasn't good for vocals.

So, my question is, should I buy a SM57 or even a 58? Since the Tascom and Mic are under layaway, I can always just return it on the spot for a different mic.

I'll be recording Trumpet, Sax, Horn, Trombone, Guitar, Bass, and a whole pile of things. But, I'd like to do some decent vocals as well, and I just dont have the money for two microphones now.

Thank you for your time, I apologize if I'm being vague at all.

Look, you may have done a little better by doing some research first, but you'll do just fine with what you bought. Experiment a lot and learn how changing the settings affects your music; twist knobs, and move the mic around till you hear something you like.

Yeah, there's probably better stuff around for the same price, but it's not gonna sound THAT much better. Go with it and learn how to get the best out of it. Once you're to the point where you understand the mic's limitations, you'll have overcome your own limitations about understanding what you're hearing.

Above all, have fun with it. That's what recording should be all about.

Yeah man, my friend bought a bloomin Behringer B1 by the advice of a salesman, but hey, regardless of the fact its meant to be awful, I got some pretty decent sounding vocals out of it.

I think you did ok. Hey, the mic was only $70. The 57 is not a great acoustic guitar mic IMO but can sound ok for strumed/rhythm parts, and it can sound pretty good on bluesy rock vocals.

rethink the Tascam and the mic...since its on layaway, maybe you are ok......tell us how much you spent and im sure we can come up with some better choices.......

sm 57

hey... just cause the sm 57 is a " instrument mic" it still sounds ok on vox, The Red Hot Chili Peppers used a sm 57 for vox on thier last album.

I worked with a commercial big band that used SM58's for live use - every horn, sax, trumpet, trom, and for vocals.

Always worked well.

Sir Dingo said:
Rethink the Samson and get a SHure BETA 57. You should not be disappointed.

Dingo

I disagree, I own SM-57's and a CO1 and the latter I much prefer for acoustic guitar.

That's for me tho so like some others have said it's all about getting the right equipment for your voice/playing and for the sound you want to get.

Don't give up and bin it because somebody on a BBS says it's crap. One man's meat an' all that.

I do like the SM-57 by the way.

can't tell about the Tascam, but I'd get a Studio Projects B1 or an ADK A51 Type V instead of the Samson (!!). I second as well who suggested the Shure Beta Green 57, that will follow you for the rest of your life.

lumbago said:
I worked with a commercial big band that used SM58's for live use - every horn, sax, trumpet, trom, and for vocals.

Always worked well.

Lumbago, my friend. As you wrote "a commercial big band". Do you know what kind of pres they used? How about the whole signal chain? Did they record in a bedroom home studio, or was it a professional studio?

I mean, sometimes the "Bono from the U2 actually used a SM57 on whole albums" answer turns to be misleading for newbies and alike, as one might believe that the mic solely will give the same outstanding studio quality. truth is that most >$1000 studio pres will make most decent mics sound great

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help guys...

I spent 200 on the Tascom converter, which seemed like a deal to me... I heard some nasty reviews, but it seemed like it's all a matter of setting the computer up correctly. If there is something in the same price range that is better, please let me know.

Since the Mic was only 70, I'm thinking about keeping it just for vocals, and buying a 57 later. I won't be recording a whole lot of aucoustic... mainly amps and such. If I should still get something besides the C01, let me know, but at least with a good reason. I got a bunch here, but I really don't know why it's that unliked.

Yeah... I'm an easy sale, and I regret it. I DID do research for a little while, but the salesman got me by the balls and talked me into w/e. I can't change that, so I'm trying now. Thanks folks.

Hey Macpb -
Don't agonize over this. This stuff will do ya just fine for now. It'll sound great if you set it up right. Use for awhile, and you'll know when you're ready for something different. Just have fun. See Harvey's post above.

I went to guitar center and did almmost the same thing cept I did some research first. I wouldn't tell the guy you know nothing anout recording either. Tell him what you are working with in terms of money etc...Be really specific!

Anways I ended up dropping $40 of $80 on a used MXL990, which I never heard of (and he said he hadn't either) and didn't know you can get new at MF for $60. The way I saw it was the V67 was $100 new, so if this was by the same company...blah blah

I asked to test out the mic and they let me do it on a high end preammp and monitors so like someone else I think Chess pointed out sure it sounded good! But I don't have an etra 2k to spend to make a $60 mic sound like a $100 one.

So I went back after I looked up the 990 at home and put that money on a mixer, which I am about to bring back and get something else unless i get a tube. Lesson I learned before you go to a place like Guitar Center research prices as well as models. I woould have been better off calling from home and asking what mics they had, then finding a price to match them with!

that little Tascam doesnt like a bad deal to start off on:

EVERYTHING you need!
Fully Mac and Windows compatible
2 XLR phantom-powered mic inputs with inserts
2 line-level ins switchable to guitar level
16 channels of MIDI I/O
Adjustable zero-latency monitoring
Cubasis and GigaStudio recording/sequencing software
2 line outs with level controls
Headphone out with level control
Self-powered through USB
Rugged steel construction
Full range of drivers

i would try to upgrade that mic though....SamAsh carries the Marshall MXLv67 for $99

Yup. I think Gidge has got your answer. Tascam generally makes solid stuff. I use a usb device myself ( from Aardvark) and do fine with it. And getting the V67 is probably a good move. Chances are they won't refuse to let you upgrade, and by most accounts the MXL will be worth the extra 30 bucks.

Macpb - hey man, I bought a Behringer mixer the last time a salesman had me by the balls. Luckily that was a while ago now (and in fact the damn thing still works - not enough reason to replace it yet!!).

Back