Diaphragmatic breathing

penisaurus

I know this is the SONGWRITING forum, but, hey, there is no Singer's forum, so you'll have to put up with this:

I recently started doing diaphragmatic breathing exercises from Roger Love's book, but I have some questions....

First, it's not natural to breath like this when you're not singing, right? Love almost makes it sound like this is the way everyone should breath all the time.... but I don't think so.

This whole "in through your nose thing".... when I sing I always just breath in through my mouth. Seems like I can't get air in fast enough through those little nostrils, and doing it seems very contrived, but that may be because I am not in the habit of doing it. Plus, what if you are stuffed up or something... makes it very difficult obviously. I guess most singers that know what they are doing breath in through their noses though?

I know their are some well trained singers that hang out in this forum, so it would be awesome to get these questions answered.

Thanks

Hi Pen.
Welcome to the forum.

Since singing is a part of songwriting, we talk about it here too. It's probalby 'unofficial', but we usually officiate ourselves here pretty well.
This is just my thoughts on the subject, and that's 'official'. Someone else my have 'official' thoughts or ideas on the subject, but just ignore them. They aren't 'official' like me.

As for breathing,,,,Singing.
I have no idea. I've never been a singer.
The only thing I could think of why the author suggests that is that it's probably quiter and you don't gulp air into your stomach which could cause you to burp during your next line.

There are some good singers around here somplace. Probably off singing somewhere.
Anyway, a couple will pop in and give you there 'unoffical' ideas on it. If they do, concider them 'offical'.

Again, Welcome.

i have this book, and think it's okay........i'll give you my 2 cents about what diaphragmatic breathing is supposed to accomplish, and what i use it for.........

mainly, i believe that it is a technique for the most efficient way of getting air into your lungs.....in other words, you use your diaphragm to force air in rather than sucking air in through your nose or mouth.......this prevents you from 'sucking air' between takes.........i hope this makes some sort of sense

You use your diaphragm for breathing because this way (1) you get most air into your lungs. (2) The diaphragm, in combination with your back and butt muscles gives you control, and what singers call "support" when you breathe out. This control is important - it helps you to sing in tune. For example: try to force the high notes out on too strong a breath, and you'll go sharp, too little breath and you'll end up flat. Try visualising the notes you sing as riding on a big cushion of air, and the muscles you use for breathing as bellows, pumping the air in and out.

Diaphragm breathing is natural in babies and young children, but usually gives way to clavicular (shallow) breathing as they get older. I understand that this is normal, though there may be cultural reinforcements, for instance, we're encouraged to pull in our stomach muscles, which makes deep breathing rather difficult. Not only singers, but sportsmen and women among others may have to re-learn good breathing habits.

It's really not difficult: just adopt a good, comfortable posture, keep your neck and shoulders relaxed, and let your abdomen do all the work. As for whether you should breath through the nose or mouth: I think you do what seems most comfortable. However, breathing through the nose (provided it isn't blocked of course!) is possibly less drying to the throat, and helps filter out dust etc. On the other hand, many singers believe that mouth breathing allows you to lift the soft palette and achieve the open throat necessary for a good vocal resonance. So take your choice!

By the way, I don't think of my contribution in any way as "official", but I've been singing for a devil of a long time!

Happy warbling,

Sarah

Excellent, Sarah.

So, if I flex my butt and stand straight, I should be able to sing better as I watch my notes drift off on my breath?
I'll give it a try.

Good post. :)

Brass players are told to push through the diaphram because it improves the tone of the instrument. Perhaps that's another reason to push from the diaphram. It may help improve vocal resonance in the throat.

Cy

I just tried to record my vocals on a song.
I flexed, diaphramed, pushed and imagined.

While concentrating on all of that, I forgot the words. :confused:

Yup, that the most efficient way for people to breath in any situation, not just singing.

Not all the butt-clenching, but the deep diaphram breathing. Essentially, you want to breath so that your belly goes out and your shoulders DON'T rise. This makes the most of your lung capacity, oxygenates you fully (the whole point of breathing, after all), and...

...gives you a hellofa lotta power to cast those vocals out with authoity. Or with long, sensuous, breathy sustain. Breathing deep is to your voice like playing through a sweet amp is like for guitar. Sure, you can play through a little 6" 20-watt combo but why? When you've got a classic tube marshall full stack right there...

Its un to practice and probably the single most important singing tip for untrained singers.

have fun,
Chris

I have to admit though, Penisaurus, that I get diaphragmatic breathing but I don't get the inhale through your nose. I have a deviated septum (from literally falling on my head from the top of a slide when I was a child!) and I don't breathe so good through my eagle beak. I think you can still use your diaphragm properly by mouth style air intake.

All this other stuff about how it's natural for babies and it affords you a constant and larger air supply seems true from my experience too, btw.

good thread, people. Debunk the myths and raise up the troof to the roof.

i completely agree with chris's reply. your breathing tecnique can make you a ok singer or a voice to remember. diaphragmatic breathing will give more power to your lows and stop the cracking on the highs. i learned this type of breathing in band class of all places playing a trumpet and u do get use to it i have to think to make myself breath the other way now u will get use to it i promise.

i almost always breathe from the diaphragm these days, singing or no, and i think it's paying off (i know it pays off in singing when i can push more notes with more power than most). my main trouble with power/range/endurance/etc is that when i get stressed and don't play/sing, i get a bit rusty. i just found that after only TWO days of consistently playing and singing several songs that my voice has gone from weak/scratchy/lacking in stamina to about 75-90% of the best it's ever been (best was probably when i was practicing for 2 hours in prep for a solo gig, or perhaps during a long period of quittting smoking-no the practicing was more important-but both at once could be a kliler combo potentially).

Back