DI plus amp? How to do it?

alexvdbroek

I am going to record a band (vocal, piano, organ[keyboard], bass and drums) all in the same room. I would like to DI the bass and the Keyboard (which I can do because I have a Mackie Onyx 1200f), but also have some of the keys sound coming out of an amp so it is included in the room mics.

What is the best way to do this?
Can I hook up one of my stereo outs in the Audio interface into an amp?

Thanks
Alex

yes you can, this would make that amp a monitor. You may have monitor outs you can use. Then you can toggle it on and off.

Actually, you can't. What you're looking for is a DI box. Your sound source plugs into the box. The DI has two outputs... one goes to your amp, the other goes to your mic pre.

The problem with running your line out to an amp is that it will be a line level signal, which is a lot stronger than the instrument level that an amp is designed to accept.

I recently picked up a really affordable box that sounds like it will do pretty much what you want. Check out the ART dPDB dual passive direct box. It's not the greatest in the world, but for less than what one usually costs, you get two discrete DIs in one box. I used it last night on some guitars, and it sounded pretty OK.

If your amp has the capability you just go from your amp to channel 1 of the mixer. Then mic the amp and run that in to channel 2

Back