DI out for extension Speaker Cab?

mrbigputts

Im using a Marshall 100W Valvestate combo amp that doesnt have extension speaker outs on it. It does however have a L/R DI out. I usually run the DI out into a mixer for more sound but it changes the sound of the amp too much for my taste. Can I run the DI out into say a 4x12 cab without any problems? I realize that the DI out is designed for recording so it should be a decent signal right? I figure the 100W valvestate shouldnt have any problems pushing the extra speakers but I dont really know. Anybody got a suggestion?

Sorry Big,no go.
The speaker outs have lots of power to drive the speakers.The direct outs put out only a line level signal.That is just not enough juice to run speakers.The reverse is true also,never plug your speaker outs into a line level circuit or it'll fry.

is there anything (outside of using powered speakers) that I can use to boost the DI line level to a usable speaker level?

Don't do it.It will sound funky because the signal at the line out has never passed through the output stage or speakers.The easiest solution would be to wire the extra cab to the first set of speakers.Somebody with electronics savvy can correct me if I'm wrong,but my impression is that wiring the speakers plus to plus and minus to minus is parallel and will keep the ohms the same.Wiring plus to minus is series and halves the ohms (assuming same number and type of speakers in two 4X12 cabs @ 8 ohms).
A twenty minute install job with a couple of 1/4 jacks and a yard or two of 14 guage wire should do the trick.Someone with real electronic knowledge please comment for safety reasons.

just to clarify, by "Don't do it" do you mean don't use a powered speaker cab?

tech21 has an acoustic amp (bronzewood 60) and a powered extension cab for it (power engine 60T )..just curious..

Power Engine 60T: An optionally available 1x12, 60-watt open-back cabinet with special design speaker and high-frequency horn, 3-band active EQ, individual level control, 1/4" input, XLR input, and XLR output. You can chain one or more with the Bronzewood 60 to double, triple, etc., your volume. Or, you can use it with the Bronzewood 60 and a stereo processor to facilitate a stereo configuration.
By the way, the Power Engine 60T can also be used with any acoustic preamp, analog or digital, in stomp box or rackmount formats, from any manufacturer, including our very own line of SansAmps!

http://www.tech21nyc.com/

see the "power engine 60 series" under products...

are there other brands?...

Why do you guys need extra cabs? The proper way to do it is to get an amp that can drive the number of cabinets you need. Tom's recomendation may work but you will really be working the power amp if you double the speaker load. The output of the two cabs will not be greater than the output of the one cab by itself so if you are looking for volume you will be defeating the purpose.

You would be better off getting another combo amp and splitting your guitar signal to both. That is a pretty common technique for getting different tones and a bigger rig if that is your goal.

MrBig- The only way to power a speaker is with a power amp.

well in my case, i have the marshall as50r acoustic amp..i play in a 3-piece(drums, bass acoustic guitar) so i run the DI out to the board..no problems at all..love the thing.

but..for my personal solo acoustic gigs, the amp has 2 channels, (one for a mic and one for guitar)..

so i was wondering if i could use it with a powered extension cab to get more volumn....that's what the tech21 stuff is for...to add to their bronze 60 acoustic amp...

oh well..no biggie really..just curious.

at 50w the as50r actually is pretty loud and clean as is...

thanks...

i like this idea:

You would be better off getting another combo amp and splitting your guitar signal to both. That is a pretty common technique for getting different tones and a bigger rig if that is your goal.

Tom Hicks said:
Don't do it.It will sound funky because the signal at the line out has never passed through the output stage or speakers.The easiest solution would be to wire the extra cab to the first set of speakers.Somebody with electronics savvy can correct me if I'm wrong,but my impression is that wiring the speakers plus to plus and minus to minus is parallel and will keep the ohms the same.Wiring plus to minus is series and halves the ohms (assuming same number and type of speakers in two 4X12 cabs @ 8 ohms).
A twenty minute install job with a couple of 1/4 jacks and a yard or two of 14 guage wire should do the trick.Someone with real electronic knowledge please comment for safety reasons.
This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Just doing this would drop the impedence by half. To match the poad it would depend on how many speakers, the impedence of the individual speakers and what load the amp wants to see.

mine is pretty much the same deal......I run the DI out into my mixer and it works great but I dont really care for the way it changes the tone of my amp. I thought If I could run into another cab and get more amp sound rather than PA sound it might be helpful. Plus I am planning on moving to a Marshall JCM2000 tube head with a 4x12 cab.....I cant afford to buy the head and the cab at the same time and one is no good without the other.....Thought I might be able to at least use the cab until i could afford the head.

MrBig if you are using a combo amp right now you could probably get away with using the Marshall head and wiring it into the cabinet on your combo amp. Many combos even have a jack for that so you dont have to do any wiring. Just stick the head on top of your combo.

IMHO The head will give you more tonal possibilities than the cab so I would get the head first if you have something to run it through.

Track Rat
Based on my college days working in a custom hi-fi speaker shop,I do recall that the impedence of a group of speakers is determined by whether the speakers are wired series or parallel.Trouble is I can't recall which way is which!But it is definately no problem to wire up multiple speakers so that the impedence is the same as the original(assumed to be 8 ohms in this case),so that the load on the amp is not increased.
OK,here is a link on that:
http://www.rexc.com/services/speaker_wire.htm

Back