DI boxes listening

which combination of DI&instrument do you like better?

• mackie&bass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mackie&guitar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • meek&bass

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • meek&guitar

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ditto&bass

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ditto&guitar

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

A1A2

I got the Groove Tubes DITTO DI box today and put together a quick test for myself, I know this is all subjective and the performances aren't perfect nor exact, but I thought I would share it with you guys anyway.

I played the riff and chord progression twice on each DI, and the order is:
mackie, meek vc6q, ditto

Have a listen and let me know which ones you like better

"Bass test" & "Guitar test"

www.nowhereradio.com/a1a2/singles

Al

I listened to the bass tracks. The meek has a nice presence to it that the others are lacking. The Ditto had a bit of a vintage tone. The Mackie was pretty neutral.

I can't really pick a favorite because each one could work depending on the mix.

tex,
I fully agree with your comments, I kind wish the ditto would have a bit more presence, but, this was just a one take test without much adjusting, so, we'll see. Actually, I'm very looking forward to hear my sm58 on this thing since dynamic mics are supposed to be very sensitive on pres.

chess,
I'm glad you didn't tell me to treat my room:D :D

Al

oh, how long am I supposed to warm up them tubes??:confused: this is my very first gear that's got something lighting up inside:)

Al

A1A2 said:
oh, how long am I supposed to warm up them tubes??:confused: this is my very first gear that's got something lighting up inside:)

Al

They say that back in the old days some studio guys left the stuff on forever...never turning it off...

I give my amp 10 minutes. :D

I don't remeber getting this warm of a resonse :rolleyes:

The Meek on bass. Sounds kinda like my VC1.

The Ditto on guitar or the Meek. Great presence on the Ditto.

The Mackie is just boreing and flat on both.

Teacher said:
i'd say give at most 30 minutes...for best performance...regarding warming up gear

thanks, teach. I heard that tubes normally die after 6 months or so, do they just stop lighting up or people just like to replace them every 6 month?:confused:

Al

"thanks, teach. I heard that tubes normally die after 6 months or so, do they just stop lighting up or people just like to replace them every 6 month? "

That depends. If it's a hiwatt guitar or bass amp or if it's a microphone or some other gear. Guess it has to do with the power you send through them and the stress they have to take.

6 months sounds short even for a guitar amp in normal use.

..they can just die or start sounding "cracky" when old. Like us...

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

Back