DFH 2 HELP With MIDI

dedicatedlist

Ok, I'm new at using MIDI and DFH 2 so I know this is going to sound stupid.. but here goes.

I've installed DFH 2 and it works fine (from what little I've used it). I have toyed around with the built on GUI keyboard that it comes with, but after using it for about 2 min, I realized that I needed some sort of MIDI trigger/controller to do this more effectivelly.

So I purchased an Evolution E-Keys 37 MIDI controller keyboard from M-Audio. When I plug in the keyboard via usb winXP picks it up just fine and installs the drivers automaticly.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use the MIDI keyboard with DFH 2. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong here? I've gone in to "setup" and clicked on "midi" options, and it only shows my sound card. Do I need additional software, or a sampler..or what?

I know this may sound stupid to those of you who do this sort of thing all the time, but I'm just getting into the MIDI side of things, and any help would be greatly apprecited.

-Savage

When you were getting results from the built in GUI keyboard, the program was running in what's called 'stand alone' mode.

Now that you have a controller to use with it, you need an audio/midi sequencer program to host the plugin version of DFH2. I use Tracktion and find it very good for all VSTi hosting and general recording duties. If you want to try it out, download the demo version here, then put the DrumKit From Hell '.dll' file in the 'VST plugins' folder and move the 'new filter' icon to the desired track. DFH2 should be in the VST folder.

Here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. And don't worry about sounding stupid. No one was born with any knowledge of midi, and we all had to start somewhere...

ssscientist said:
When you were getting results from the built in GUI keyboard, the program was running in what's called 'stand alone' mode.

Now that you have a controller to use with it, you need an audio/midi sequencer program to host the plugin version of DFH2. I use Tracktion and find it very good for all VSTi hosting and general recording duties. If you want to try it out, download the demo version here, then put the DrumKit From Hell '.dll' file in the 'VST plugins' folder and move the 'new filter' icon to the desired track. DFH2 should be in the VST folder.

Here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. And don't worry about sounding stupid. No one was born with any knowledge of midi, and we all had to start somewhere...

Well I do have the VST Plugin for DFH 2 and I have Cubase SX but I can't get it to work either. Is there maybe a tutorial out there that'll show me how to do this? I suppose I'm kinda slow.

-Savage

All I can suggest is for you to try the Cubase manual. I'm not a current Cubase user, so I can't talk you step-by-step thru the process --- but I'll bet the info you need is in the manual.

Back