Deposit on Recording Time

kevellus

Hey All,

I've got some gear and have been approached by someone to record a couple tracks over a month or so, a day a week for a month (or something like that). What is a reasonable desposit I should ask for if we're looking at a 1500-2000 over all cost in the end. Should I ask for one?

Not sure about what the standard is, but any useful info. would be appreciated as a new buisnessman, as I've not really done this before and don't want to get screwed.

Thanks,
Shawn

Somewhere between 25-50% wouldn't be unreasonable.

The way I once worked it for a client who was short on cash, but was coming in once a week was that he paid half of each session each time he came - meaning that covered the cost of the actual session plus a deposit towards the mixing time. By the time he got to mixdown, he was almost paid up and was happy that he didn't have to fork out too much more!

Last edited:
I would agree with Bear- you should also take into account mixing and mastering. Are you going to do it or out source it. It makes a difference in the hourly rate you charge and you should always get a deposit. Make sure you book them in a time slot and charge them for it- so if they book from 12-4 and show up at 1 they don't get that hour back. Remember- in the end you have the tracked material- so no play until pay!! I would say that 1500 to 2000 seems fairly high for only a couple of tracks. I would hope that includes mixing as well.

Back