Dep Sessions / 8th Star Gear!

SMC Productions

Gear used on The 1996 DEP Sessions album

On the original 1996 sessions at the Cabin Studios in Coventry and Dep Studios in Birmingham, Tony used Gibson SG and Les Paul guitars, the Jaydee Custom SG, a Fender Telecaster in the ‘overstrung’ or ‘Nashville tuning’ mode, a Steinberger Transtrem guitar, a Gibson J50 acoustic and a Fender nylon strung classical guitar. Amplification was by Laney GH100TI amplifiers, a Laney VC30 amplifier, a Marshall 2554 amplifier and Laney speakers. Guitar effects were provided by a Peavey TubeFex unit. All guitar strings used were by La Bella.

Glenn used a Fender Jazz bass and a Warwick bass. The bass amp was a Laney BC 120.

The original 24 track 2” tapes were transferred to the digital ProTools format by Mike Exeter, who had engineered the DEP sessions. The 2004 drum sessions with Jim Copley were recorded at Tone Hall, Tony’s home studio. They were played on Yamaha drums and Zildjan cymbals. The studio gear used was ProTools LE on Digitech 002R, Mackie 32ch 8 bus desk, Mackie HUI control surface, Mackie HR824 & Yamaha NS10 monitor speakers. Computer power was by Apple Mac G4 dual processor tower and Powerbook and ibook laptop units. Signal processing was by Universal Audio 1176, DBX 160A, Klark Teknik 504 & 514, Midas XL42, Eventide HR3000DSE, Roland SDE 3000 &Yamaha SPX90.

Good info!! You won't believe this...but Seventh Star, from 1986, is one of my favorite all time albums. I saw Tony on the Sabbath Seventh Star tour. I know the story behind Seventh Star (originally a solo album....record company wanted Sabbath name to help sell it). I always thought that Tony could have gone out as Tony Iommi's Seventh Star (like Ritchie Blackmoor's Rainbow) and would have been quite sucsessfull. I believe Dave Hill was original DEP drummer (replaced by Copley's tracks)

Back