dense mix

bozmillar

I wanted to make a song that ignored all the rules I always worry about. No structure, no room for vocals, I layered as many instruments as I possibly could and I didn't put more than 10 seconds worth of effort into getting a good guitar tone. I think it turned out my favorite song I've ever made.

Updated a few things. Here's a new version:

Last edited:
Sounded pretty good. I thought things got a little cluttered by around 1:04. I suppose each instrument was audible. Just compositionally it got cluttered. Tones on things were pretty nice.

Sounded pretty good. I thought things got a little cluttered by around 1:04. I suppose each instrument was audible. Just compositionally it got cluttered. Tones on things were pretty nice.

oh, yeah, you're right. I think that's mostly because of sloppy playing actually. I think if I play the percussive palm muted guitars tigher it would feel less cluttered. I'll go back and see if I can fix that part.

I don't think it sounds cluttered - more that the piano started off clearly & was lost in the mix a little around 1.04. It needs to be kept clear until it finishes that phrase or passage.
Nice proggy bass tone - I particularly like the morse coded tone that orbits/circumnavigates like Sputnik.
The drums are a bit mechanical when they are clear earlier on.
Cool stuff

I don't think it sounds cluttered - more that the piano started off clearly & was lost in the mix a little around 1.04. It needs to be kept clear until it finishes that phrase or passage.
Nice proggy bass tone - I particularly like the morse coded tone that orbits/circumnavigates like Sputnik.
The drums are a bit mechanical when they are clear earlier on.
Cool stuff

Thanks for listening man. These are all things I agree with. I fought the urge to try to make sure the piano could be heard at all times because of all the stuff going on, if I started trying to make every instrument heard, it would turn into a mess. It started to pop out again when I started playing octaves on the right hand instead of just single notes, so maybe I should start that up a little earlier.

Maybe I should make it an actual morse code message.

When I showed my wife, the first thing she said is "You're going to change those drums right?" I didn't really know what she was talking about so I kind of ignored it. Maybe I need to go back and redo the drums right there.

This is sounding nice. The G note that plays at the end part of the song could maybe come down a little and maybe be tamed a little at around 3.3kHz.

Nice job.

G (Ecktronic)

alright, I took some of the suggestions and made some changes. I tamed that synth G, tried to make the drums less mechanical, though not sure if I succeeded. I also fixed a couple sloppy spots to try to tighten it up a bit. oh, and I shortened the intro. it was too long and boring.

The link is in the first post.

Back