Delta66 + ntrack + win2000 = WORKS!

OldGrover

Wheee. Upgraded to Win2000 over the weekend and all of a sudden everything works. Under 98 I was having huge stability and latency problems with n-track - under 2000 I am getting less then 7ms latency (basically, I can't hear it) on the LIVE function even with effects - very cool.

I sound just soooo good with my voice pitch-shifted up an octave

Wheee!

Working well for me too...

But how the hell are you getting 7ms latency? I have to use full ASIO buffers or I get dropouts....although that's with 16 tracks...I guess I haven't tried it yet with just one track.

Slackmaster 2000

Well, I'm just (so far) trying with the LIVE mode and I can't hear the delay... smallest ASIO buffer.

I'll be trying some real recording, etc, tonight so I'll letcha now whether that is any different.

Do you guys really monitor through your software? I just monitor out of my board and it has always worked well. Am I missing an advantage?

My Delta->N-Track->Win2k is working great as well.

Oh- What is your PC setup for such good results....just wondering.
I have P3 733, 512MB RAM, 2 20G 7200rpm hd's, using the Delta44

H2H

OldGrover, any results yet? I was able to get a very small latency too when I just used the Live Input feature with nothing much else going on. Are you able to record with latency this low?

Slackmaster 2000

Well, my weekend recording plans got busted - stomache flu. Yuck. Anyone here want the runs? I got 'em - cheap.

I'll letcha know as soon as I know :)

Well, recording 4 tracks, I had to pump up the buffer a bit, but it still sounds pretty damn good using the Live function. Though I have to admit that most of the time I'm just using the Delta patchbay to do monitoring while recording

Glad to hear that Delta66 + ntrack + win2000 = WORKS! because this is the setup I'm considering as well. Anything you can mention about this setup before I plunk down the cash next week?

My PC specs are P3, 400Mhz, new 40GB Western Digital HD, and 128MB RAM. Not the best rig, but a good start. I'm wondering whether a faster motherboard, or more RAM would be most beneficial to preventing drop-outs. I would rather spend my cash on gear than on the computer upgrade, but..

Any comments or observations you have on this setup would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm using PIII 450 with 384 MB ram, but you should be fine with 128 for N-Track (I work for a computer company, we've got ram coming out our ears :)

Definitely go with 2000 - it was lightyears better then 98... make sure you get the latest and greatest version of the Delta drivers, not the ones that come with the card. Get the latest (stable) version of n-track (I haven't tried the beta yet)

As I said, having the LIVE function is nice (I can show my fiancee what she would sound like with reverb, etc using it) but I often just use the patchbay to flip to monitoring the inputs while recording, then flip back to wavouts when I've got everything in.

I haven't done THAT much with things yet, but so far it is working great (other then the level problems I'm having (see other thread)). The nice thing about LIVE is that you can monitor new stuff + old stuff at the same time when overdubbing. Most of the time doing that has worked fine, but I had to play with the ASIO settings until I found one that didn't pop but still sounded realtime (low is better, but too low will pop)

N-Track is not a RAM hog like some of the other programs out there. Personally, I liked Vegas better (I evaluated it) as far as interface, but I didn't like it $300 better - especially since Vegas doesn't do VST.

A pal of mine runs a delta 1010 n-track and 2000 and it's rock solid (read as solid as you could hope for from a pc and n-tracks) It still has a few problems now and again, but on the whole, it rocks!

Anyone know why n-track running under win2K with ASIO uses so much more CPU than ntrack under win98 using regular drivers?

Wish I had a 1 of those p4 1.7 gig chips.

Back