Delta1010 vs. Digi001

berkleywoods

After much research, I've decided between either purchasing a Delta 1010 or a Digi001...

Now if I use the Digi001, then obviously I will use the preamps that come in the piece. However, If I use the Delta, I will use the preamps on my Alesis Studio 32 Mixer....I've been using the mixer for live PA and i dont know how those preamps compare to the Digi001 preamps...anyone know?

Which card do you recommend?? I know that alot of people think that the Digi001 is over priced and they are in love with the Delta Series...But sometimes I get the feeling that people are bitter over the Digi001 simply because they can't afford them...and if they could, would they go to the delta??

I would probably shell out the money for the Digi001, but only if I felt like it was worth the extra money...What do you think???

Look forward to your response...any help is welcomed..
Much thanks....

Digi001 is pricy....gotta pay a little extra for that pro tools name.
A buddy of mine tried it on the PC version and it was rough going.
He sold it on ebay. I did'nt take to it very well either, was a little bit too difficult and uncomfotable to work with. I guess others that have been using it and have mastered it would swear by it.
The delta series seems to be popular and reliable, but I dont know the software program. I got the audiophile awhile back, but I use Logic Audio Platinum, and of course I swear by it. Once you get used to a software program, its difficult to give it up. It takes time to learn it well. As for the specs. difference, I could'nt tell ya.
But Im sure someone will.

are you using the Alesis Mixer because you "can't afford" a Mackie, Soundcraft, or Allen&Heath?......

Digi is nice unit...all be it a pricey one at that. I have a Delta 1010 and have to say its a wonderful piece of equipment. With Digi you'll eventually need to upgrade....it an AVID thing. If you went with you should still consider going with an outboard mic pre...either way, you'll want quality pre's going into your unit. When I was shopping around for a new card, I looked at C-port, Delta, Layla and several others. I choose the 1010 based on the specs, freedback here and at other forums, price-points, and the committment by the maker to upgrade drivers and such...that was what swayed me to M-audio! You'll also have to consider what platform you'll use it under...MAC or PC...then, if its a PC, what motherboard/chip will work best with the card. I look at this way, I'll use this card for at least two years, then start to look for another unit to expand, or upgrade to. Its not like you're buying a house and plan on living in it for 30-years. Good luck!

I have the delta1010. I don't think the digi can record at 96K. The delta can. I also think the delta's converters are better. I wouldn't put too much faith in the digi's built in pres.

This is a bad board to be asking about the Digi...there IS a prejuidice against it here. No doubt.

I have the Digi001 on both a PC and a MAC. Works flawlessly. And don't let people tell you that you "have to have a MAC." It actually installed easier for me on a PC. Fewer headaches. And to ME, that is the beauty of the 001 system, fewer headaches. I don't have to worry about driver issues and such. Why? Because I followed the compatibility suggestions on the DIGI website. Not here. Does it WORK better on a MAC, well there are more plug-ins available, yes. More stable OS, yes, seems to be.

Do I like the 001 pres? There are not the best ever, but, gee, I thought we were all doing HOME recording.

So those are my thoughts...people start your engines.

OR, follow what you are told here and get the 1010, some audio-buddies and get that puppy going with CW or n-tracks on XP. (BTW, I am NOT bashing N-tracks, I use it on a laptop.)

Just to confuse you a little more I would look at the Digi Mbox (focusrite pre's) or the Roland Studio Pack.

I dont understand somebody saying ProTools is difficult but Logic Audio isn't. I have used almost every software on the market at some point in time and would say ProTools is one of the easiest to use and Logic is by far the most difficult.

For the record I use the Roland pack with Logic and have been getting great results so far. Logic is a bitch to learn, though.

thanks for the help.....

i need to make a decison pretty soon...

I'm kind of leaning towards the Delta and maybe eventually upgrading from the Alesis and get some nice preamps..

But im still hesitant because even though i think im saving money by going with the Delta, by the time i buy a software that is comparable to protools le, i would've spent about the same amount of money...right?

i dunno, its a tough call....and i hate spending money...im finding that going the PC route can be frustrating simply because there are soo many options!! but i guess thats a good thing too....

The Digi 001 works perfectly on a PC, if you set it up according to Digidesign's standards. Just about the only people that have big trouble with Digi and PC are people who don't follow the compatibility guides. If you wanna check out how pro tools is to use, just download PT free off of their website. Its really unstable though.(PT Free)

" But im still hesitant because even though i think im saving money by going with the Delta, by the time i buy a software that is
comparable to protools le, i would've spent about the same amount of money...right? "

Well, that has been my contention all along. A delta runs $400, right? Add Logic at another $250 or more and you are right in the neighborhood. Plus, there are drivers issues to worry about.

Again, in this forum you are gonna hear horror over Digi and delight over the other PC options. So, I say read alot and decide after that.

I wish I could giver you experience with the Delta. I can't. I may go buy one for one of my PC's so I CAN speak from experience. If I do, i will let you know my thoughts then.

Good luck.

C

So am I correct in assuming that the extra money your paying for in the Digi001 is the software??

Obvioiusly you are also paying for the preamps also, but my sense is, and my research tells me, that the Delta has better sound converters and quality...

Hmmm. Let's see . . .

The Delta 1010 gives you: a few more inputs. Yay!

Score: 2 points for the Delta.

Oooh. But the Digi gives you software and comes with preamps.

Score: 3 points for Digi.

Whoa, wait a minute . . . the preamps kinda suck ass, so you will very likely have to buy outboard ones very soon, anyway.

Score: -1 point for Digi. Score is now all tied at 2.

Whoa, wait a minute again. Not only do the preamps kinda' suck ass, but you're probably discovering quickly that the a/d conversion kinda' sucks ass, too. Oh well, I guess you can shell out a couple grand on a lucid or apoge, right?

Score: - -2 for digi.

Delta wins 2 to 0.

How does the delta 1010 give you more inputs?

The digi has adat lightpipe so you can hook up an alesis ai3 or something comparable and double you're inputs for only about 400 more.

The best way I can answer this question is to give you the facts:

Delta 1010:
--10x10 I/O max (2 on spdif so only 8x8 Analog).
--up to 96kH/24 bit resolution
--Superior AD converters compared to most other products in the sub $1000 category.
--No Preamps
--True Multi-Platform support. If you want OSX on Mac or Windows NT/2000 on PC you got it.
--Less Hardware picky than a Digi001, but still stay away from AMD/Via chipset combinations. If you are going to use an AMD buy a mobo with an AMD chipset.
--Must use a Sound Application that is not an Industry Standard and ultimately will drive the total cost to about equal with the Digi001.

Digi001:
--Up to 18x18 I/O max (8x8 analog, 8x8 ADAT lightpipe, 2x2 SPDIF)
--up to 48kHz/24 bit resolution
--Sub par AD/DA converters compared to any card anywhere. Their AD converters are about on par with ADAT technology.
--2 low quality preamps
--Limited Multi-Platform support. No OSX No NT/2000/XP. Hell no Win95 or 98 unless you have Windows 98SE.
--Limited Hardware support (read their compatibility guidelines!)
--Included sound application that is the Industry Standard in the big studios.

In my opinion you should buy what fits your needs. If you love Protools and you plan on starting a career in the "Pro" side of things then the Digi001 is what you need.

If you already have a computer and it doesn't jive with the Digi001 compatibility specs, or if you want to use OSX or WIndows NT/2000 I'd say you should go for the Delta1010.

If you want the "best" sound quality the Delta 1010 wins over the Digi001. Though the caveat to this is that it sometimes is what you do not what you do it with that counts...Neither of these cards will magically transform you into Bob Rock recording Metallica.

Back