Delta 66 works with Win XP, not 2K ?!?!

Hello all,
Im running a Delta 66 on an Athlon 1.0G/MSI K7, 256MB Cool Edit Pro 2.0 machine...
this weekend i tried upgrading from ME to 2K, over all it worked great, until i started trying to playback and record audio, the audio "skips" i guess is the best description, i messed with the DMA buffers and sample rate, it made a difference but never fixed the problem, i tried re loading win 2K doing the whole F7 deal when it asks about the SCSI drivers...no help what so ever...my machine was set up for dual boot, switch back to ME and it never sounded better...So i put XP on the computer...everythings working fine...WTF...i am under the impression that the XP and 2K drivers are the same...is there something else that 2K does that im missing...is it still the PCI problem?
XP is ok, but overall it seemed like 2K was running alot better, plus even after tweaking the display XP looks pretty fruity...
So, any ideas out there? deal with XP? dual boot and just use ME for audio editing? while trying to get the delta working i was watching the RAM usage while running CEP under 2K and it was amazingly low compared to ME, confirming my thoughts that that was the "leaner" running OS, and if i could i would prefer to use that...
I know this has been covered a bit but using all the tips ive seen on line i still cant make it work? is it a lost cause...can i not have my cake and eat it too...
TIA
Bryan

It should be possible to get it working with 2k BUT it handles pci card interupts in a different way, stacking (most) everything on one IRQ unless you disable ACPI. So far, most people have found XP to work fine in this regard as it handles interupts in the best way a Windows o/s has so far - especially on a recent mobo.
2K is a perfectly viable o/s for a DAW, but given the choice, I have to say that XP is better.
Apart from some icons, I have my XP (without Service Pack 1 - if it aint broke dont fix it) looking and feeling exactly like Win2k.
What optimisations have you done? Beware of disabling some services - most of what is needed can be done from the various properties and settings options.

Back