Delta 66, Sonar and General Volume Questions

mayan

I am quite confused about a couple of issues and I was hoping some grizzled veterans of the wars could help me out. I'm not quite sure if this should go in the Sonar forum or the Newbie forum...but here goes.

1) I have the most recent drivers for the Delta 66. I'm not at all sure, however, whether I should be using the Multichannel option, the straight Delta 1/2 option or the Delta Monitor option...I'm using it with Sonar -not quite sure if that makes a difference, although I want to be able to do input monitoring without blowing out my speakers, headphones and/or ears.

2) I always get hung up on Volume for recording my synths. This is on a very basic level...I want to be able to do either MIDI recording which will then be converted to audio for mix-down...or, perhaps record my synths directly to audio. As far as I can see, the only gain comes, possibly from my Behringer mixing board. One question is, do I want to keep my synth cranked to the max and my Sonar MIDI recording level set way high so that I resort as little as possible to the gain from the Behringer? Secondly, do I want to have the Delta 66 mixing panel set as high as possible? Will any of this cause distortion?

What decibel level do I want to have my audio recording coming in at? I read somewhere -6 to -3. Is that correct? On the Behringer, there seems to be two volume related controls: the volume slider and the gain knob...I'm not quite sure which control I should primarily working with...Should I crank the slider before resorting to the gain knob? Which is more liable to cause distortion?

Any help in seeking to figure out how to conceptualize how all these volume adjustments fit together, would be greatly appreciated.

Back