Delta 44 & clicking! Help...

blackbuck

I bought a new soundcard a week or so ago. At first everything went well, then I had a guitar take ruined by clicking/poping distortion. I read through the manual, and made sure everything was set up like it said. I found if I clicked it over to monitor it worked. ANyway, this aleviated the problem for a few takes. THen I read the FAQ, and tried to do what they said. It said something about memory alocation in the application doing the recording, but I can't figure out how to do that with Acid.

Now, the occurance of the clicking/pops seems random. It will be fine for one take, then without changing a single thing, the second take will be crap! Sometimes if I then go and change the seting from wav to monitor, it works fine. Sometimes not. I can't figure this out. If the input was too hot, I should get consistant problems. If it was the way the channels were set up, that should be consistant.

I am using acid on a win98 AMD system. ANy ideas??

Well, what software are you using? And what driver model? (ASIO, WDM, DS, MME, etc)

You should probably set your software recording & playback buffers pretty high to start out with, then tweek them down as necessary. Of course if you're using ASIO you'll actually adjust buffers using the delta control panel, and I recommend cranking it to max at first. (you should use the latest drivers from m-audio)

I did run into a weird problem with the Delta and n-Track using WDM where I had to set the buffer size in the delta control panel pretty low, and then set the record/playback buffers in n-Track (to around 50ms). If I increased the delta control panel buffers, I would get clicks and pops, no matter what I set the n-Track buffers at...very weird.

Anyhow, we need more info. The most likely case here is that it'll just be a buffer thing. At worst, it's a disagreement between the delta and the VIA or SiS chipset on your motherboard...in which case it *might* not ever work. Let's not jump to conclusions though.

Slackmaster 2000

I have a delta omni studio and had a similar problem when i ran cakewalk recently. I recently upgraded to using cubase, but reverted back to an old project to put down more tracks and every once in a while i would get a horrible sounding buzz through out the whole track. After several days of troubleshooting, the weirdest part is that it didn't happen in cubase ever.

It ended up to be the drivers. I got the latest version from www.m-aduio.com and the problem disappeared. They even posted a notice saying the newest version fixed some apparent problems with some MME applications. So i would check that first and then start messing with buffers if need be.

good luck.

I had the same problem with my old DMAN2044... and in a WIERD twist of events... when I changed MIXERs... it went away.

odd, but true.

could be coincidence... I ditched that card pretty soon after changing mixers.

xoxo

ps..mixers as in real life console-type deals.

Slack, thanks for the reply. Anyway, I did the autodetect install so I don't know which driver it is. How would I find out?

Also, I am using acid 2.0's recording feature. I do not know how to set these buffer sizes, although that does sound like the culprit.

Ok, if you installed drivers from a CD or something, then you should go to m-audio.com and download the latest driver set. See what that does.

Also, if you have a motherboard with a VIA chipset, then downloading the latest 4in1 driver pack from viatech.com is almost always a good idea.

Then, you need to dig through the Acid setup. I'm not too familiar with it. See if there's any mention of ASIO, MME, WDM, DS, etc, which refers to the driver model that the software is currently using. For instance, both ASIO and WDM offer very low latency audio. MME and DS are more typical gaming and multimedia models. This is important because it will dictate how you set your buffers up.

Which brings me to my next point: find out where the buffer settings in Acid are. They might not be called "buffer settings", they might call it "latency" (because that's the end result), or something generic like "performance", and so on.

Slackmaster 2000

Back