Delta 44 and Cakewalk Problems

Les W

This is the first time I haven't been able to use delta 44 with a program. It is impossible for me to figure out how to prevent the hardware from having conflicts.

I keep getting error messages. Also I can't use the 24 bit option. Can someone help?

We'll need more information than you've given - such as which Cakewalk program you are using? What OS? What drivers are you using?

I suspect this is a sound card conflict. Does your system have another sound card beside the Delta? It is likely that the other card is only 16 bit capable. You will need to disable it in Sonar.

You may also have a driver conflict - MME vs WDM, and that is why the Delta is not showing.

If you do have another sound card, and are not using it for anything, you might want to disable it in Windows and/or the BIOS.

dachay2tnr said:
We'll need more information than you've given - such as which Cakewalk program you are using? What OS? What drivers are you using?

I suspect this is a sound card conflict. Does your system have another sound card beside the Delta? It is likely that the other card is only 16 bit capable. You will need to disable it in Sonar.

You may also have a driver conflict - MME vs WDM, and that is why the Delta is not showing.

If you do have another sound card, and are not using it for anything, you might want to disable it in Windows and/or the BIOS.

hey sorry
On Cakewalk Home Studio 2002
yeah I am on XP Pro
using the delta 44 XP drivers (from m audio.com)
The other card is only 16 bit don't know how to disable it though

I hope I don't have to disable the soundblaster Live cause I watch movies with it:)

Les W said:

The other card is only 16 bit don't know how to disable it though

I hope I don't have to disable the soundblaster Live cause I watch movies with it:)
Is the soundblaster live your only other card, or do you also have onboard audio from your motherboard?

You can start by going into Options > Audio > Drivers and disabling the SB Live (and anything else that shows there except the Delta).

Then change the sound card bit rate and file bit rate to 24. Exit and re-enter HS 2002. (You might have to exit and re-enter before it will let you change the bit rates.)

See what happens and let us know.

You could try just removing the Soundblaster audio from HS2004.
Open the menu Options /Audio. On the drivers TAB you can select (Blue background) just the Delta 44 audio channels.
Close the program and re-open.
Open Options/ Audio again and look at the tab with the latency slider - pull it to minimum and click the profile button.
When it's finished, you should be up and running and still have the Soundblasters midi synth and ports available in HS and your Media programs and games can still playback through the Soundblasters audio.

The Soundblaster Live! is not the best behaved card, particularly the early Value/1024/4.1 versions - something to do with the pci electronics. The later 5.1 got it right I think and the Audigy was ok. I've found the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz to be the best behaved card for Windows, without upsetting "pro" cards in the same machine like the Deltas.

It may be that you will have to lose the Live!

I had the same 24 bit problem with Sonar 2 and a Delta 44 (However Sonar did at least recognize the card was there, but wouldn't let me utilize 24 bit). I had to disable my 16 bit card under windows (I tried disabling in Sonar but no luck). It worked after that but my MIDI I/O was on the 16 bit card. Bummer!!!
But I wanted to expand my MIDI anyways, so what better excuse to upgrade.

You can't watch movies with the delta 44?

Heck, I use the delta 44 for all kinds of mundane sound chores... games, mp3 playback, etc. etc. Does it not work for movies?

Back