Delta 1010lt fighting with my SB Audigy

something cool

Okay so I bought a Delta 1010lt a couple of weeks ago, good card, sounds good, easy to install, good value, yadda yadda.

Anyway, I still have my SB Audigy installed (no mixer or powered monitors yet, so I'd like to hear something), and they don't seem to like each other much. If I try recording with the Audigy (i.e. converting a midi track to audio), my computer locks up within 2 seconds. Sucks.

First thing I thought to do was disable the Delta in Sonar or Windows or both if I need to record with the SB ... and I'm sure that would work it just seems like there has to be an easier way, I'd hate to have to disable a sound card every time I wanted to convert a stupid midi track.

I went to M-Audio's website, and the knowledge base didn't seem to have anything pertaining to my particular problem, though I did download an updated driver set ... only problem is I'm a dummy and since they came in a .zip file instead of a self-extracting .exe, I'm not sure how to install them (i.e. where to extract the files). Looking through the readme for the drivers, it sounds like this type of problem may have been addressed, so I'm hoping that'll solve it.

Computer specs: P4 2.4GHz, 512 megs RAM, Windows XP, SB Audigy, Delta 1010lt, nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this isn't an uncommon problem, so whatever you guys did to fix it or work around it, I'd be happy to know.

Thanks in advance.

...most people buy the 1010lt to replace the sb audigy.....i think the rate clocks between the two are different and maybe thats why they arent playing well together...so i guess I'll answer a question with a question...why do you still want to use the audigy when you own a much much better product

... okay, let's start over here. Hi, I'm something cool, I'm a Libra, I like daffodils, candy corn, and long walks on the beach. My Delta 1010lt and SB Audigy don't like each other. I have two questions.

1) Where do I extract the files and/or how do I install the new drivers from M-Audio's website?

2) Any other workarounds?

Feel free to answer the above questions without questioning my setup, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks, nice to meet you.

My Delta 1010lt and SB Audigy don't like each other. I have two questions.

1) Where do I extract the files and/or how do I install the new drivers from M-Audio's website?

2) Any other workarounds?

Feel free to answer the above questions without questioning my setup, I'd be much obliged.
[/B]

Unfortunately, and as much as you might hate to hear it, your "setup" may be the source of your problems. Unless your Audigy is capable of syncing with the rate clock of your Delta, you will not be able to use the two cards together as recording sources. It'll have to be one or the other.

If you want midi with the Delta, use a softsynth. My Delta 66 came with one bundled. I'm pretty sure your 1010LT did too.

Now for your other questions....

1)This link will contain instuctions for installing your downloaded drivers. http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/videos/Download_driver.html

2) You can find adapters that will let you use your current computer speakers with the Delta at Radio Shack. That's what I used until I got my nearfield monitors. Just make sure you set the 1010 to output a consumer level signal, or you might get some distortion.

3) Check out the search functions on the BBS here. Questions you have may have already been answered.

I've got the same combo in one of my PCs...I too discovered this problem early on. In the end, I only use the Audigy ocassionally for play back not recording.

I've got a couple audio out chains...one off my audigy, one off the Delta...I don't have any problems switching back and fourth this way but the recording isn't a clean. Having to delete the cards re-do the hardware set up, blah blah blah...not pretty.

Have you considered an outboard or other synth device which would be more compatable with the Delta and avoid using the audigy all together?

punkin said:
Have you considered an outboard or other synth device which would be more compatable with the Delta and avoid using the audigy all together?

Yeah I've considered a bunch of different "buy something extra" options, but I'm getting ready for a move soon so I'm trying to save money and just work around it without having to buy anything.

sometimes you have to end up buying something extra to get things to work right

if you look around...people ask about setups so we know how to better help you with your problem

the sarcastic comments arent needed

distortedrumble said:
sometimes you have to end up buying something extra to get things to work right

if you look around...people ask about setups so we know how to better help you with your problem

the sarcastic comments arent needed

whatever.

Anyways, thanks for your help Moonrider and punkin, very much appreciated. I'll be looking into getting an adapter for my computer speakers for now (till I get situated), and using a DXi for my MIDI tracks (SONAR has a pretty good helpfile on that process, so I think I should be okay figuring that one out).

Moonrider: I'm having the same problems as something cool. I've tried to set up my computer speakers as monitors by plugging them into the monitor jacks of my omni studio (bought 1/8 -> 2x 1/4 adapter at Sam Ash). However, I seems to be getting only a mono signal, and a week one at that. Am I missing something?

I kinda have a similar problem. Aark24 and SB512. I tried doing without the soundblaster but then found my MIDI capabilities missing, in particular the metronome. I ended up putting the SB512 back in and I got everything working pretty good now. I DON'T want to go through that again. My cheap monitors allows 2 input sources so each soundcard goes into the monitors. Mostly it works well but if I want to create a nice MIDI drum track I have to start off in 16-bit, convert the MIDI track to an audio track, then switch to 24-bit. I heard some of these issues will go away when I upgrade to Sonar from Cakewalk 9, yes?

mixologist....your 1/8 to 1/4 splitter isnt stereo probably....most of the time those cables are made to send the complete signal to 2 different sources. are your computer speakers powered? the audio signal from the omni is sent with only about 2 volts of power or something like that...the signal is then amplified by the speakers so you can hear it loud and clear....your splitter cuts that signal in half...so your getting something like 1 volt of audio signal to each speaker

i have a crazy bit of splitters running from mine....i have (2) rca male to 2 rca female splitters, one connection from each splitter goes to a monitor. the other to rca female connections attach to a 2 rca male to 1/8 female jack, which is then connected to a 3' 1/8 jack extension cable thats connected to my headphone amplifier

eddie ray...yes actually sonar makes 16 bit even sound pretty good....i used cakewalk guitar tracks 2 before i used sonar.....i recorded the same guitar in both and i noticed a difference between the two. guitar tracks made it sound a little more muffled like it was missing things...sonar brought out alot of what i didnt hear in GT2

mixologist said:
Moonrider: I'm having the same problems as something cool. I've tried to set up my computer speakers as monitors by plugging them into the monitor jacks of my omni studio (bought 1/8 -> 2x 1/4 adapter at Sam Ash). However, I seems to be getting only a mono signal, and a week one at that. Am I missing something?

Check the following:

1) Make sure you're using the "record (mix) outs" OR the "monitor" outs, and not the direct outs.

2) Check your 1/8" plug to make sure that it's a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) stereo plug. It should have a metal Tip, a non-mental band, a metal Ring, a non-mental band, and a metal Sleeve. If it's just a tip and a sleeve, it's a mono plug and won't give you a stereo signal.

3) Check your 1/4" plugs and make sure they're Tip/Sleeve and NOT TRS. The outputs on the Omni are designed to handle balanced connections with TRS plugs and unbalanced with Tip/Sleeve. You'll want to be using an unbalanced connection since you'll be combining the two mono signals into a single stereo signal. Using TRS plugs here will give you a mono signal.

4) Check the Delta Control Panel and make sure you select the appropriate level of output impedance. You'll have three choices - 10dBv, 0dBv, and +4dBv. Most consumer level soundcards expect -10dBv, with a few accepting 0dBv. Usually only professional equipment will want +4dBv.

Back