Delta 1010-LT Questions!!!

triple cubic

So I finally got my SB Audigy and Delta 1010-LT to coexist in harmony. :) Yay.

Now the question is, what exactly are all these things on the card and all the controls in the M-Audio HQ? Which one do I plug my mic into? All I want to do is record vocals in Cool Edit through my Delta 1010-LT. Is it normal for Cool Edit to ask you to specify both the left and right channel audio recording devices? Or is that just something I messed up? And can someone please explain which parts are the preamps, exactly?

I also noticed that the recording volume with the Delta is a bit low... does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Akwah

Well, it depends on whether you will be running your microphone through a preamp, or if you just want to connect directly to the LT and use it's built-in preamp.

If you want to use the LT's preamp, then just plug the mic directly in one of the XLR (the bigger microphone inputs) inputs.

If you want to go through an external preamp first, then you'll have to go from your preamp's output in to one of the RCA inputs on the LT.

The reason you need to specify either Right or Left channel on CoolEdit is actually pretty simple. Example: Suppose you are recording on to track 1 using CoolEdit. Now suppose you set track one to use inputs 1 and 2 as your recording inputs (1010 LT/1and2). Now if you specify Left channel, it will record whatever is going through input 1. If you specify "Right," then it will record whatever is going in to input 2.

So basically, Left and Right are just Cooledit's way of saying "input 1" or "input 2." Subsequently, input three would be "1010LT 3/4" with "Left channel" specified. And Input 4 would be "3/4" with "Right" channel selected.

All of the inputs are just broken down in to Left/Right pairs. Got it?

The XLR inputs are balanced, and already have preamplification. The rest are unbalanced and without preamplification.

Weak signal going in you say? On the LT's driver/controll panel, there is a selection that will allow you to set your inputs at -10 or +4. If you are plugging your mic directly in to the XLR input (and thus, using the built-in preamps), then be sure to set this at -10. This will give you a hotter input. If you are using an EXTERNAL preamp, then you will need to set the LT's controll panel at +4, and use your preamp to boost the signal level.

If you are using a condenser mic, then you're going to need to use an external preamp. I don't think the LT's built-in pre can deliver the necessary voltage to power the condenser. On a dynamic microphone, however, I have been very pleasantly surprized with the sound I get from it. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
I used to, but I found out after time that I didn't get much work done with all the instant messaging going back and forth. Just too easy to gab your day away.

Feel free to email me if you want, though: snailinajar@yahoo.com

Hey I have a 1010 LT. I dont have time to read or post a reply right now, swamped with school work, but I have AIM. My SN is Slipknot451. Feel free to im me if you wanna talk some LT man, or whatever.

Back