Delta 1010 and Rane MS1: Connecting a Pre with xlr balanced out

bishop55

I recently bought a used Rane MS1 mic pre. It has a single balanced xlr out. I'm trying to hook it up to the unbalanced line level inputs of my Delta 1010. For some reason, I can't get it to pass signal which makes me think it may be broken, but usually in these situations I'm missing some obvious thing. I have tried a female xlr to 1/4 inch TS cable. No dice. Same with xlr to balanced TRS cable. The last way, I was able to hear some faint and distorted input if I hollered into the mic.

Am I doing something wrong? Anybody use these with a Delta 1010? The other thing is that the manual says the pre is designed to add a mic input to a line level mixer. Could I plug it into the line level input of my mixer and take a signal from the direct out?

Just need to know if broken or not really.

michael

Well...first of all....if it is the full rack version of the Delta...it has balanced inputs that also accepts unbalanced inputs. I use to use 3 Deltas slaved together and regularly used mic preamps with xlr out to TRS plug with no issues.

It sounds like one of several possibilities.
Are you familiar at all with the Delta Mixer Applet where you control the monitor mixer and or Input / Output configuration?
Have you ever successfully recorded anything in that input you are using? I am just trying to figure out if you have used theequipment succesfully with the exception of the new introduction of the mic pre. there are many variable as to why you won't hear something.
Many software systems won't let you monitor you input with the program being in recording mode, or the Delta monitor mixer may be muted or not turned up on the channel you are hokked into.

Hi T-mix,
Thanks for the reply. The input I was recording into works. I switched out the Rane for an sx202 in the same input and got the track done. So, if you have used the xlr to 1/4 inch successfully, the Rane unit must be defective. There is something online about it having a weird wiring setup and I thought there might be some trick to it, but it prolly just needs service.

Back