Delta 1010 and CD-RW

Barometer

Spacewalker SS50 with 1.8 P4
with onboard sound (Creative AudioPCI drivers)
Win 2K Professional
BTC 24.10.40 CD-RW
512 DDR
Brand new ATA100 7200 RPM 80 GB HDD
Delta 1010
Sonar

When I try to play an audio CD through my studio system using only the Delta drivers for sound there is a crackle and pop. I have tried disabling the onboard sound and changing the sample rates and cache setting for the Delta. When hooked up to computer speakers with the onboard input and drivers, there is no problem. Also any files played from the hard drive sound clean in both configurations. Anyone have a clue about this one?

Attachments

• !image001.gif
    !image001.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 18
I can't play audio disks via my Sony CDRW & Delta1010 without cracks & pops either. I can however play them via my regular CDROM drive. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, but I've seen this as a semi-common problem and I have yet to find a solution.

This issue is most definately related to the fact that the Delta doesn't have a CD audio input, so if you're playing audio CD's then you're doing digital audio extraction which is a somewhat harder process. I know that I can play audio CD's with my CDRW if I hook it up to my soundblaster and don't use digital extraction.

The upside of digital extraction (basically realtime ripping) is that you'll be using the converters on your Delta for playback instead of the converters built in to the CDROM drive itself. That is, of course, if you can get it working without clicks & pops!

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks Slackmaster,

It's good to know that I'm not alone here. I thought I was going nuts with some of the hardware issues I've had lately. Maybe I'll try M-Audio for some answers about the Delta converters :)

i have a hp cd-rw on my daw with a 1010 and the newest drivers under xp. i can play cd's just fine....??? i've never had crackles and pops while playing a cd back... i'll play one now to be sure...

Really? I wonder if this is fixed in XP? I'm running Win2K pro. I'd really like to avoid switching to XP though (I hate it). R U running XP Slackmaster?

I think this problem has more to do with the CD burner than the Delta 1010 or the OS. Specifically how efficient the burner is in extracting digital audio. That's probably why Slack's CD-ROM works ok, but his burner doesn't. Not all CD players/burners are created equal in their ability to extract digital audio.

Some more great advice from Mike, I really like the way this guy thinks. I do have a pretty low end, cheap CD-RW so this could definitely be the cause. Thanks Mike :D

Back